UAD Little Labs IBF vs Logic Gain + Sample Delay (phase)

I'm now trying the UAD Little Labs demo.

http://www.uaudio.com/store/special-processing/little-labs-ibp.html

http://www.uaudio.com/media/assetlibrary/l/l/ll_ibp_sq.jpg

But I'm wondering if it's worth the 99 USD because Logic also provides similar options.

For example: the gain tool has a phase invert option and we have the sample delay tool.

It seems both (uad and Logic plugs) do the job but I'm not sure yet which one delivers the best quality.

Questions:

Is someone familiar with phase invert / short delay and if yes which method do you use to eliminate this issues?

Has Logic more options to offer instead of the gain and sample delay tool? Maybe the direction mixer tool?

Little Labs has a ms delay adjust and sample delay sam but what's the difference?

Logic's tools already allow you to do most (all?) of that stuff. Inverting phase doesn't require complex calculations so there's no quality difference between two phase inverters, this is basic stuff.

Little Labs has a ms delay adjust and sample delay sam but what's the difference?

Just using different time units: At a sample rate of 44.1KHz, you're playing 44,100 samples a second therefore a sample is 1/44,100 = 0.02267573696 ms.

Thanks for the input David!

@ jtees > The phase adjust parameter - which seems to be 'analog' - is frequency dependent, the delay adjust is purely 'digital' and shifts all frequencies equally.

From the manual (page 180): Phase shifting using the phase adjust knob is not 'perfect' like mathematically-manipulated signals in the digital domain. When phase adjust is set to 180 on one of two identical tracks side-by-side, the signals will not cancel as you may expect. If a 'standard' 180 phase shift is desired, use the phase invert switch. If 'digitally pure' frequency-independent phase shift is desired, use the delay adjust parameter.

Ofcourse, it's cool to have such a plug-in but if Logic has tools with similar results, well .. maybe it's better to use them after all. Allthough I earned a 25 USD uad coupon today by filling in the survey. :mrgreen:

Archived