Recording and CPU saving strategy questions.

PFJT

I need to bring my song across the finish line.

Fairly new to recording. I have learned heaps from this forum so thanks very much. Longwinded questions so thanks in advance for reading.

I have recorded guitar tracks, bass and also 2 midi instruments which are imported midi tracks from EZ drummer and EZkeys. I will record vocals this weekend.

Mid 2011 iMac, 10.8.2, 16gb RAM, quad core i7, and am getting an external SSD thunderbolt HD tomorrow.

Apogee Duet2 input and external monitors.

I bounced the midi drums in place without bypassing effects. I then hid the track and muted the original track. Froze the other tracks that I will still work on.

2 issues:

- Intro, 2 verses and 2 choruses and bridge all are great timing wise repeating outro outro timing gets off. I didn't record in low latency. I copied and pasted the outro 8 bars that repeat and the first 2 rounds are in time, the rest get off.

- I got computer overload warnings towards the end of the song so I know I screwed up along the way.

My questions (finally got here)

1). When I adjust the outro timing should I be in low latency mode and also compensation? (yes I read the user manual, about 10 times, still confused). I realize low latency is for recording but what about adjusting?

2). Is my Freezing/BIP strategy effective?

3). When I record vocals and backing vocals, should I bounce the whole song and record into a new project to optimize CPU usage or is that ridiculous and overkill? I plan to use Autotune graphic and harmony engine.

4) Once everything is done, is it just a simple matter of either BIP'ing or freezing all tracks after mixing to master the output and then play without CPU or timing issues?

5) Am I making this way harder than it needs to be? I find these things difficult.

Thanks again,

Phil

btw I live in the LA area and the song is called "Gridlock" and it's a rocker.

Timing off? Do you have automated tempo changes going on?

Low-latency mode is only for recording,, it bypasses things like pitch-correction to cut back on processor use. what you DO want to do when mixing is go to your audio preferences and select a larger buffer like 1024(max). This will allow you to do more plugin/editing without overloading, but will cause more latency for recording. When recording, select low buffer and freeze all your other tracks.

As far as bounce-in-place(bip) goes, I typically BIP after my arrange edits are done(cuts, fades, flex, etc...)with plugins bypassed(I like the option to adjust until the end!) Freezing on the other hand is almost the same thing, but you can quickly "unfreeze." There are 2 modes(selectable in the inspector window on the left) pre-fader & source only. If you're not finished with your cuts, fades, flex edits, etc, and want to make plugin adjustments, you can select "source only" and it will save what's on the arrange window, allowing you to make plugin adjustments. If you need to do some demanding work on only a few tracks, you can freeze everything else "pre-fader" and it will include everything, saving even more.

Once again, I ALWAYS want the option to adjust plugin settings until I'm ready to bounce the final and put it to bed.

It's kinda hard to identify your problem without any visual. Could you explain?

Timing off? Do you have automated tempo changes going on?

Low-latency mode is only for recording,, it bypasses things like pitch-correction to cut back on processor use. what you DO want to do when mixing is go to your audio preferences and select a larger buffer like 1024(max). This will allow you to do more plugin/editing without overloading, but will cause more latency for recording. When recording, select low buffer and freeze all your other tracks.

As far as bounce-in-place(bip) goes, I typically BIP after my arrange edits are done(cuts, fades, flex, etc...)with plugins bypassed(I like the option to adjust until the end!) Freezing on the other hand is almost the same thing, but you can quickly "unfreeze." There are 2 modes(selectable in the inspector window on the left) pre-fader & source only. If you're not finished with your cuts, fades, flex edits, etc, and want to make plugin adjustments, you can select "source only" and it will save what's on the arrange window, allowing you to make plugin adjustments. If you need to do some demanding work on only a few tracks, you can freeze everything else "pre-fader" and it will include everything, saving even more.

Once again, I ALWAYS want the option to adjust plugin settings until I'm ready to bounce the final and put it to bed.

It's kinda hard to identify your problem without any visual. Could you explain?

Thanks for this detailed response - very helpful.

No tempo changes so I thought it must have been a build up of latency if that occurs? Probably is that I didn't cut and paste the repeating section with enough resolution. I'll have to check that.

So when you BIP with plug ins bypassed so you can adjust to the end, do you create another track then mute the original so you can go back or do you replace? I'm still trying to grasp the whole concept.

I can do a screen shot tonight or so when I get home to better explain.

Thanks again - greatly appreciated.

Phil

There shouldn't be latency "building up" as you put it, unless you have a strange hardware issue that you haven't addressed,, I've had this happen when using a different interface for input than output....

If your end section has any loops that are the correct length, you can set locators over the amount of time that the loop should fill, and hit cmd+t,,, that will create a tempo change to snap the grid to that regions length, but I fear this may not be the solution as I can't see/hear what's going on. If you can't get this thing whipped soon, the newest skype has a "screen-share" feature which could make it much easier.

That is extremely helpful.

I think that will really help me with pasting with respect to timing. Can you do that to multiple tracks at a time?

I'm going to work on the timing during the evenings this week before recording this weekend. I would love to take advantage of the generous offer of skype if I can't get it sorted by then.

Best regards,

Phil

Archived