Audio Interface Suggestion for AU Plugin Heavy Productions

Hi everyone,

For some background, I've been away from producing for quite some time and I'm looking to get back into it. I make primarily electronic music ranging from house to trance to ambient. Although I used to have some external modules, I'm looking to keep my new setup quite simple this time around

Although I haven't purchased a computer yet, I'm looking at either a Mac Mini 2.6ghz quad-core i7 w/ 16gb ram, running two SSD's or previous gen. iMac 2.8ghz quad-core i7 w/ 16 gb ram running one SSD & one HDD. Both are pretty close in terms of specs.

I will be primarily using plugins and samples so a a ton of input and outputs will probably not be necessary. I guess I will mainly be looking to do "in-the-box" productions. Some units I have been looking at are, the Motu Ultralite Mk3, Motu Track 16, Apogee Duet 2, RME Babyface which is the $400-700 range. I would appreciate some input into any of these units or if anyone has other suggestions around this range. Thank you!

So I've settled on a Mac Mini 2.6ghz quad-core i7 w/ 16 gb ram.

I will only need the ability to output to studio monitors and/or a mixer. Perhaps a few inputs for a hardware synth and midi. I would greatly appreciate any input.

Archived