HD failure + Obtaining a new Logic 9 serial number

electrichead84

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this?

I noticed that i need to fax them a form with the original invoice. I always find this stuff strange as very few people have a fax machine.

If anyone has experience here, what kind of turn around time am i looking at once i send that off?

Cheers,

Have you lost the box as well, then? Sorry to hear that. No experience with replacement serials, but an advice to keep your licenses also on dropbox or somewhere in the cloud for easy retrieval. I use 1Pasword for passes but also for software licenses and all is backed up in the cloud in case of HD crash.

Good luck.

Can you keep licences as a seperate file then?

I have the box, but my hard drive failed. Ive whacked a new one in and tried to install logic. When i have to enter the serial number its obviously invalid as its been used on my previous hard drive. So i need a new one, unless theres a way of getting around it quicker.

I never understand people that buy relatively expensive software and then don't even make a note of their serial numbers.

I have a spreadsheet with all the registration details of all software I bought, so if I ever need to reinstall, I just open up that one document and have everything I need. That file is also in the cloud too, in case some disastrous thing happens and I lose my local copies.

I have the box, but my hard drive failed. Ive whacked a new one in and tried to install logic. When i have to enter the serial number its obviously invalid as its been used on my previous hard drive.

No, it doesn't work like that. Apple serial numbers are not tied to hardware at all (what actually happens is that the registration process hashes your serial number, with your machine details, and stores the result - so if your machine changes, the hash fails, and the software will prompt for the serial again and repeat the process for the new hardware).

The serial number can be used to install many copies on many machines (although obviously you need to observe the terms of the license agreement.)

If you have the serial number, that is all you need.

If the serial number is coming up invalid, make sure it is the correct serial number, and that you are not trying to use (for example) an LP8 serial number for LP9. If your serial is still being rejected and you are sure it's correct, you should contact Apple.