Realtime freeze with External Instruments?

nickt66

Hello,

I have a JD-990 configured as an external instrument on an instrument track and I'm able to transmit/record MIDI and hear the audio from the JD-990 just fine. What I'd like to be able to do is freeze that instrument track so I don't have to power up the JD each time I open the session.

There is a freeze button on the instrument track, but freezing it causes the usual non-realtime freeze. This results in a freeze file that is nothing but silence since the JD-990 needs to generate the audio in realtime. I'm wondering if there is a way to have Logic freeze that track in realtime so that the audio from the JD990 can be generated and captured?

I can bounce out that instrument track in realtime and get the audio that way. However, if possible, I'd like to just be able to have the convenience of the freeze function.

Thanks,

Nick

Hello,

I have a JD-990 configured as an external instrument on an instrument track and I'm able to transmit/record MIDI and hear the audio from the JD-990 just fine. What I'd like to be able to do is freeze that instrument track so I don't have to power up the JD each time I open the session.

There is a freeze button on the instrument track, but freezing it causes the usual non-realtime freeze. This results in a freeze file that is nothing but silence since the JD-990 needs to generate the audio in realtime. I'm wondering if there is a way to have Logic freeze that track in realtime so that the audio from the JD990 can be generated and captured?

I can bounce out that instrument track in realtime and get the audio that way. However, if possible, I'd like to just be able to have the convenience of the freeze function.

Thanks,

Nick

Freeze doesn't serve that purpose. Record your midi on an Audio Instrument channel (You probably don't even need to record midi) and record the Audio on an Audio channel.

Page 196 thru explains all that.

Some of it is attached.

1581486808_Picture1.png.d34c9c7b6e3a5e7b061f2529dc6904af.png