polyphonic tuning coming?

fixnmix

I've heard someone almost had the usual procedure for boiling eggs patented - just by dextrous wording. The request was declined in the last minute when finally a patent clerk figured out what it was about.

This may be a legend, but often patents are a matter of skilful wording, I think.

What I find odd is that this sounds exactly like how DNA (Direct Note Access) by Melodyne works...

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

...have they not patented their method? Or is Apples' so completely different that it merits a separate patent? I'm afraid those online journalists at "Apple "Insider"" have done a sloppy, almost gossiplike job. These questions should've been adressed, and answered.

From a quick read, the patent (or at least what's reported about it in the article) describes pitch detection only. There is also mention of being able to derive the chord name from detected notes. And since Logic already includes chord name identification from live-played MIDI, it's likely an easy tie-in to name chords based on notes derived from audio files.

From a quick read, the patent (or at least what's reported about it in the article) describes pitch detection only. There is also mention of being able to derive the chord name from detected notes. And since Logic already includes chord name identification from live-played MIDI, it's likely an easy tie-in to name chords based on notes derived from audio files.

yeah, and could probably be used for garageband´s "how did I play" function as well

If Apple's marketing team is worth their salt, when you click on the "How Did I Play" feature, it should pop up a new window that says, "Wow, that sounds amazing! It's time for you to get real about your music and buy Logic Pro. Click YES to purchase now and get a $10 discount, or click NO and be a loser."

:lol: