Problem converting to new sample rate on active Flex regions

LeonC

Hi everyone,

My first posting on the logicprohelp forum! (which I have very thankfully consulted numerous time already ;-))

I have a problem converting a 44.1kHz Logic project to 48kHz because some regions with Flex markers behave strangely. Here's what:

Precondition:

Starting project is completely cleaned up and has a mixture of 24bit and 16bit 44.1kHz audio files and software instrument tracks. The project consists of some folders with guide tracks (which contain the 16 bit files and were the reason for staying at 44.1kHz) and a lot of audio tracks with the final instrument recordings. They have been mixed, produced and are bounced for a large part... except for the bass guitar. The bass track still has one long region with numerous flex markers to align it to the drum tracks. I need to do some more detailed work on it (especially for removing some ticks by slightly moving the markers)... but that's not a priority now.

Step 1:

Load project and convert it to 48kHz.

Step 2:

Go to the audio bin, select all, and copy convert all files to 24bit 48 kHz WAV files.

Step 3:

Get coffee... because it takes a while (dozens of files... big project... long song... progressive rock genre :D )

Result:

All goes well... except for the bass track. It's region still has the old length, which is larger compared to the other regions without flex markers. The flex markers themselves are at the right position, judging by length... but they don't agree with the region/file anymore. Also... if flex is disabled the region gets shorter and is now the same length as some of the other correctly converted regions. Also... if I drag the region from the audio bin to a new track the arrange window it's also has the correct length and plays correctly (apart from the missing timing changes).

So my conclusions:

- The conversion of the audio file went fine... It's the region with the Flex stuff that's creating strange stuff.

- Flex markers are part of an instance of a region... they can't be copied/moved from one region to another

PS 1: I've searched the forum... and this seemed solved: http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85204, but that solution didn't work for me. First doing the copy convert in the bin, and then changing the project sample rate has the same result. Therefore... I created this new topic because the other title describes a different situation.

PS 2:

You might say... why go to 48kHz? Will you hear the difference? The old tracks won;t sound better!

Yes... but these are my reasons:

- because I'll add some more vocal tracks next Saturday and think recording them in 48kHz should make a little difference in quality.

- because I have an audio card (Steinberg UR28M) which 'senses' the sample frequency in the project. I have it set to 48kHz now... but when I load this 44.1 project the interface changes, giving me a loud 'pop' sound, which my speakers and I don't like.

Also... Of course I have the project backup... so I can simply bounce in place the bass region... printing the flex changes on it in a new file... and convert that to 48kHz. But I would like to keep the flex markers and make some small adjustments later.

Does this mean that you can't preserve flex markers when you want to convert sample rate? Is this normal behavior?

Can anyone think of a solution in which I can convert the sample rate, but keep the flex markers working?

Thanks in advance!

Yes... but these are my reasons:

- because I'll add some more vocal tracks next Saturday and think recording them in 48kHz should make a little difference in quality.

- because I have an audio card (Steinberg UR28M) which 'senses' the sample frequency in the project. I have it set to 48kHz now... but when I load this 44.1 project the interface changes, giving me a loud 'pop' sound, which my speakers and I don't like.

Reason #1 - no you won't notice any difference, and the sample rate conversion (which degrades quality) you will have to do to EVERY other track in the song will MORE than balance out any tiny bit of sound quality your would have received from the vocals @48K.

Reason #2 - This happens to me too, but a little forethought when launching the session you can avoid that. Turn everything down until after the project is loaded.

I understand your reasons, but I think you'd be best off leaving the project as is. Just my opinion,

Good workflow suggests you decide on a sample rate for your project once and for all before you record anything. Since you've already started recording at 44.1kHz, continue recording at 44.1kHz. Keep it simple.

I'll add some more vocal tracks next Saturday and think recording them in 48kHz should make a little difference in quality.

The subtle increase in quality recording your vocals at 48kHz will be completely counterbalanced by the subtle decrease in quality converting all your other track's sample rates (which creates distortion).

I have an audio card (Steinberg UR28M) which 'senses' the sample frequency in the project. I have it set to 48kHz now... but when I load this 44.1 project the interface changes, giving me a loud 'pop' sound, which my speakers and I don't like.

Your gear and the way it behaves doesn't dictate what sample rate you should be using. Follow Matty's advice and turn down your speakers before you load that project.