Can't crossfade/select regions created in replace mode

sagecoll

Hey guys,

First post on here. But hopefully not a dumb one. Tried to research this issue with no luck.

I'm tracking/editing live drum tracks for a song, and overdubbed a few sections using the autopunch/replace mode (I don't like dealing with different logic takes). I assumed that the new regions created during these overdubs would be automatically crossfaded (as to avoid clicks/pops). But it seems they have not. (perhaps because of an incorrect setting on my part, but I don't know).

Anyway, when I go to manually insert crossfades on the overdubbed regions, I'm unable to select them as the basic region (as opposed to the overdubbed region AND the basic region) only is selected.

All I want is to keep the overdubbed regions and avoid the clicks and pops. Logic guys, help me out!

Thanks

The problem is that with inserted overdubs, there is no 'handle' of data (pre and post the actual region) in order to crossfade with. So logic CAN'T fade out/in before and after the edit, since there is no data there. Try moving the in point a bit, it may help it out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm unable to select them as the basic region (as opposed to the overdubbed region AND the basic region) only is selected"

For the record, 'take' folders do autocrossfade (it's an adjustable preference), plus you can lock tracks together, so you really only have to edit one track, and all others will be edited the same way.

The first thing to determine is whether or not you're dealing with take folders. Take folders have a little disclosure triangle before their name, and if you click it the folder opens to reveal multiple takes on sub-lanes below.

As Matty said, take folders have automatic crossfades but you cannot apply your own manually (you have to flatten the folder first).

On the other hand normal regions have no automatic crossfades but you can apply your own manually.

If you can post a screenshot this will help.

Automatic fades for take folders are adjusted in Preferences > Audio > General, at the bottom under "Crossfades for Merge and Take Comping".

Thanks for the help. I don't believe I'm dealing with Take folders unfortunately. The regions do not have the triangle in their name. I'll give you visual example of what I'm referring to. Maybe that will help.

Example: Here I have a measure of overdubbed drums from measure 28->29. The overdubbed region is #21. The basic region which #21 was overdubbing was #20. When I click on any part of the arrange window that is not a drum track or drum track region, Both regions 21 and 20 display as shown.

pic1.png.075ac1e78b6f9ff9223d5dbfa08ab2fa.png

I'd like to insert a crossfade between regions 20 and 21. I typically just do this with the fade tool (if you guys have a quicker way of doing it across multiple tracks, please let me know). And doing so requires to select both regions 20 and 21. However when I attempt to do so, region 21 simply disappears and only region 20 is able to be seen/selected.

pic2.png.14d22d875449db84438e94f61b198e83.png

It turns out I'm able to insert a crossfade across into region 21, but when I try to fade out back to region 20. It only inserts a fade out of region 21 but not the fade in to region 20.

pic3.png.59f05816b32fca55dc35625e4171862a.png

The only ways off the top of my head I can figure out how to get around this with my knowledge would be to extend region 21 out so that there's a clean overlap with 20. Or to Split and delete region 20 in the area where region 21 is.

Neither of these sound appealing to me. I hope you guys can help!

Thanks

I'd like to insert a crossfade between regions 20 and 21. I typically just do this with the fade tool (if you guys have a quicker way of doing it across multiple tracks, please let me know)

Select all the regions you want to crossfade. Now use the region parameters (at the top of the inspector) to apply the same fades to all selected regions. Keep in mind Logic inserts fade-ins on region starts, and fade-outs or crossfades on region ends (or where a new region starts on the same track if you have overlapped regions).