Getting The Right Sounds For The Drop

Okay. So I have done multiple songs which sound get all until I get to the drop. (it's electro house by the way) I can do it for a few tracks, but only a few. And I don't want to constantly be asking how to make this sound. So I was wondering how or what you would use to get these different types of sounds? It would range from Electro house synths to dubstep straight basses- I.e like the ones in sound remedy-.

I have a few plug-ins but they are mostly for developing on the preset sounds rather than starting from scratch like the es2.

So what I was really wondering is what's the best way to get my head around this? Is the es2 and logics other plug-ins good for this sort of genre? Or would `i be advised getting massive or some other plug-in?

Thanks in advance.

Massive is the horsepower behind many tracks with ripping synths but you can get some cool sounds from the es2 wavetables, heres one I knocked up with just 1 wavetable. Sick mod Scream.pst

I always program my wobbles with the mod wheel when working with es2 as the lfo's are pretty useless for this genre imo. So to get an idea, play the patch low and use your mod wheel. You may not like it, its just to demo that nasty sounds can come from the es2 :)

It's just about experimentation, I can tell that's probably not what you want to hear but finding good original sounds takes a lot of time. If you think of the value 1 good sound can have in a track then spending a whole day trying to figure out 1 sound seems reasonable. There are preset packs available from people like loop masters but you will probably go through the whole pack and only find a couple of good sounds.

If you take the time to learn your synths you get to know which parts of the synth will give you the sounds you are after. A lot of the fat electro sounds are just basic waveforms tho.

For me I feel the most exciting part of production is sound design, just embrace it whatever synth you use, learn it inside out but most of all enjoy it. It's the best advice I can give really.

There are tutorials online that can show you the basics, finding good ones is another thing. Try doing a youtube search for Ryan Enzed, synth guru and Future music video's. most of these vids will be for massive and the future music video's are usually based on a certain producer and the way they work although you can learn some synth techniques from these like the sub focus video is Massive based and demonstrates a simple reece bass but you can still learn the basics with the es2.

The es2 is after all a wavetable subtractive synth just like Massive although massive has way better modulation options but never underestimate the possibility of using automation. Automation seems cumbersome but can be way more expressive than a simple LFO if its wobbles your after.

Yeah, it's what I was scared of hearing tbh but I know that's what I've gotta do. I guess I need to get to know the es2 inside and out so I know to to get the sound I want.

And yes, I have looked at Ryan Enzed, he is a very good teacher. As you said most of there stuff is massive based but I will look at that sub focus vid and hopefully that will give me the basic sound I want.

Oh yeah, I also completely agree with your point on spending a day on the right synth. What I do is spend about half an hour, get frustrated and look around for more help. Maybe I just need to learn more stuff and get more patience :P

Thanks rhys :).

Yeah, the sub focus vid is basically about just 1 synth sound. To get started you will need to learn these basic things, what the waves sound like on their own. This is the most important as if you hear a sound you wish to emulate then you will need to have an idea of the building blocks.

Then learn what the different filter types do to those wave forms and the learn how the envelopes can shape a sound. Don't try and learn by starting with a ready made preset as it can get confusing. The es2 is perfect to learn a subtractive synth, if you wish to start with something more basic try the ES1 and remember that all subtractive synths basically work the same whether your using massive or whatever.

You most probably will end up buying massive if you get into it but only because there will be more routing options and better LFO's etc but for now there is more than enough in the es2 to get you head around and you be able to directly transfer that knowledge to Massive at a later date.