Scanning music score and converting to MIDI (OCR)

Does anyone have any experience with software that you can scan music score (PDFs etc) and convert to MIDI?

I'm researching a huge amount of score for a project and am a very slow sight reader .... so considering the possibility of using some sort of convertor to speed things up .... does anyone have any success / recommendations / do's / don'ts with any of the commercially available applications?

The only topic I can find in "forum search" seems to be a very short one that was closed in 2008 and I imagine the recognition software must have come on since then.

Many thanks in anticipation of thoughts

All the very bestest

Dick

Hey there =sKi=

There you are! Isn't it a bit late for you to be up and about?

How wonderful to hear from you! As usual your unbeatable knowledge of all things goes before you.

Thank you .... I'm going to give this a shot post hoc ergo propter hoc.

D-the-F

PS Off piste for a quick sec ...how are all things looking MIDI wise with 23.976 frame rates?

Hi!

Early AM (or "stupid AM" as my wife sometimes refers to it, not only for my work but for hers as well) isn't really late for me. This is the time of the day when I get my best inspiration. :)

Always great to see you online, and I hope that PDF-to-Music Pro suits your needs.

Hope all's well with you. We should catch up off-forum! On the off piste front, recently a composer here in LA posted about a situation he had trying to sync using MTC on a 23.976 project. I supplied him with the (now) usual caveats and asked him if he'd post back with the results of his 23.976 endeavors. He hasn't done so yet, but if he does I'll be sure to point you to his post and perhaps pick up on the conversation.

And now, as the joke goes, "OK, coffee break's over, everyone back on your heads."

The PDF to Music Pro seems incredibly successful .... I've started playing with the demo and results seem quite surprising .... I'm not attempting anything with handwriten score though, so I guess that's where one might come unstuck ... I can see myself purchasing this without bothering to try anything else.

Yes let's please keep in touch re this 23.976 midi thing.

Thanks again ...... now don't leave it too long before you're off to Bedfordshire!

http://www.neuratron.com/photoscore.htm

I also have to report Ski, that having come up with a problem yesterday morning (one piece of score I was using was very tatty down the left side and had staff ties & clefs missing .... so the app was having issues working out how many staves to translate parts for), I sent a note off to the UK tech support and blow me, 2 hours later they sent me a solution! Flip .... if only all our tech support peeps were on the ball like this. Why not give their demo a go? (the demo won't save anything but you'll get to see how easy it is to manipulate you way to a very quick result) I'm well impressed.

Hi Dick,

Will definitely check it out, thanks for the link.

Tech support. Ah yes... with respect to that, "they who shall remain nameless" need to stop spelunking in the crevices of the ol' khyber pass. And re all things 23.976, it occurs to me that a friend of mine is the president or the chairman of the MMA, so I'll shoot him an email and ask him about 23.976 & MTC.