Probable n00b error... interface + cable to plug ipad into

Hi guys,

I went ahead and bought a cable in the spur of the moment without thinking of whether it would even work. After not getting any sound when all plugged in, it occurred to me that I seem to be trying to pass audio into an audio out port. Any chance someone can confirm this and possibly offer a solution to my predicament please?

I've got the saffire 6

http://futuremusic.com/news/images/focusrite_saffire_6usb.jpg

and have just bought a phono to mini jack

http://www.stagebox.com/image/cache/data/Mini%20J%20-Phono%20ebay-500x500.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Jonik

You could only use that cable with that iFace if you have something with a stereo 3.5mm input, which I have personally never seen.

What are you trying to connect to the saffire? Monitors? An amp? Eitherway, you're probably best served with two cinch-to-6.3mm jack cables, or (depends on the format of you amps/monitors inputs) simply two cinch-to-cinch, or two cinch-to-XLR, or two 6.3mm jack-to-XLR cables. The cable you now have is to connect built in audio, with the 3.5 stereojack going into your Mac audio ports.

I may be stating the obvious Jonik, but just to make sure you're aware. There are no audio inputs on the back of that interface. Try the adaptors that Erik suggested or exchange your cable for the correct one and plug into the Mic/Line/Instrument inputs in the front of the interface.

Here's a three foot cable like you need for $9.99.

http://www.samash.com/p/Hosa_CMP150%2018%20Stereo%20to%20Dual%2014%20Mono%20Audio%20Cable%20Assorted%20Lengths_184125

Not stating the obvious in my case I'm afraid - I've not had much experience with physical recording before and it begins to show when things like this pop up!

Having used a very similar cable on another rig it didn't occur to me that my phonos were not the same! I shall investigate your link now - thank you. From a glance I take it that it will use up both of my mic inputs?

Thanks again,

Jonik

From a glance I take it that it will use up both of my mic inputs?

Yes. Those inputs are multi-functional. If you plug in a mic, it's a Mic Input. If you plug in an instrument, it's an Instrument Input. If you plug in an iPod or any other audio device it is a Line Input. Your interface automatically switches between Mic and Line.

I'd already tried a jack to minijack, with and without phantom power

No need for phantom power for Line Input.

- thank you.

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.