Why do Logic want to access my contacts?

swedishlol

Hi!

As I launched Logic Pro (version 9.1.7 on OS X Mountain Lion) for the first time it asked me for permission to access my contacts (?).

If I go to System settings -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Contacts Logic Pro is listed there. Why do Logic want access to my contacts?

Thanks,

I'm withdrawing my previous comments as i have checked all my systems here and none of them have allowed Logic access to my contacts... so maybe it's not Logic but some plugin you installed? In this case i would deny access unless anyone else can come up with a legit reason as to why this is happening for you..

All my systems with Logic 9.1.7 and 9.1.8 (with Lion and/or ML) show the exact same thing as shown in this screenshot...

394513466_Privacysettings.png.9db2491524a8279a7ce6ca1880c7acd1.png

It wants to call all your friends and try to get you some recording/mixing business. :)

Hahaha. Would be an awesome feature!

I wondered this myself, but all you have to do is deny access. I haven't experienced any ill effects from doing so.

Do you see the same thing under Security&Privacy -> Privacy -> Contacts?

It's a cracked plug-in that's trying to report back to the software copyright owner. ;-)

Now that wouldn't surprise me at all..... :D

That would be a new way of approaching piracy! Haha!

Hmm... This is abit weird I must say. Just installed Logic on my new Mac. I can not remember seeing this under the privacy tab on my old machine... So nobody else got this?

Edit: It's the same version which was one my previous machine!

I wasn't all joking. Some software will "phone home". I know a small French developer who put this feature in his software, and more than 90% of all users of his application had stolen the software. He quit software development after that.

Anyway, I have no specific idea about what's happening in your situation, sorry.

Did you use or accidentally open a AU Net Receive plug-in? Just a wild guess, I have no idea if that plug-in will access Contacts, but it does enable an Internet connection to Logic.

Yes, I noticed this right after I installed Mountain Lion. I can't remember the exact version of Logic I had installed, but it was the latest version at the time (I'm going to guess 9.1.6). It wasn't a fresh install though. I did a system upgrade from Lion, so I didn't reinstall Logic. All my plugins are legitimate. It could be a bug of some sort, so maybe we should submit feedback?