which sound card?

hi there,

I'm upgrading my MBP which was stolen and I think it's time to ditch my M-Audio fast-track pro and get a sound card to take advantage of the new machine's capability. These are...

2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 4MB L3 cache

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory

FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)

Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)

Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

I usually record onto one or two tracks at a time. i.e. one mic for vocals and a guitar line in. However I recently did a session recording drums and found it would be useful to be able to record 4 drum tracks at once. (kick, snare and two overheads). The drum sessions would be rare and the vast majority of recording will still be one or two tracks at a time.

There are a bewildering array of interfaces on the market can anyone suggest a good one.

Budget is 150-200 pounds (this loaner mac has no pound sterling symbol!)

Thanks

Andy

While it is slightly above your budget, I have been extremely pleased with the Motu Ultralites over the years.... Never had any issues and they have proven to be reliable and stable no matter what has been thrown at them... as have the drivers throughout the various OS updates...

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3

If that is a little high for your budget then the Motu Express is pretty good too...

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/audio-express

• 2 weeks later...