Korg Triton Rack Setup - OSX 10.7.3 / Logic 9.1.8 [SOLVED]

Lun9rMusic

Hey guys,

I am running a iMac with PreSonus Firestudio audio interface trying to get my Korg Triton rack working rather than stare at me from the corner of the room. I have read some topics but there was no conclusive reply in my case so here I am.

I would be so grateful if someone could explain what is actually possible with this rack and maybe how to set that up. I have a few questions which have been bugging me.

1. Can I use the Triton as a Software Instrument lets say.

2. Can i pick my sounds through logic instead of the Triton unit itself?

3. Do I have to record back into audio?

4. How do I connect my midi cables to my Korg digital piano to make the possible?

5. Is this a massive task?

I will thank you in advance for this mammoth task or a reply? I needs a guru :shock:

Thanks

Edited by Lun9rMusic

1. No, it's a hardware instrument.

2. Yes.

3. You don't have to but you can if you need to. It's however recommended that you record all your tracks as audio files for archiving once you're done with your project.

4. What Korg digital piano exactly (model number)? Does your piano have a USB connection? Does your Korg rack have a USB connection? If they do, you connect them straight to the Mac. If they don't, you'll need a USB MIDI interface.

5. No but if it's new to you you'll have to warp your head around the whole thing a bit. Might seem daunting at first, but once you get it it's fairly simple - kinda like riding a bike. ;)

Your first step should be to take care of the USB or MIDI connections and see if you can create an external MIDI track in Logic and route your keyboard's MIDI notes to the Triton rack (by plugging headphones straight in the Triton rack).

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

Thanks for the reply, I 'm getting my head around it quicker than expected.

First step completed, I have downloaded a Triton auto loader for logic from here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7719&p=470882#p470882 I can trigger Triton with notes being played in Logic. I'm getting a sound back into Logic through 3-4 which is cool.

I'm now having trouble with the multi thing. I cannot get multiple tracks playing simultaneously from logic and I don't know why? There is some sort of problem with the channels or ports.

Channel 1 works fine but channel 2 doesn't even trigger the Triton (The input LED doesn't light up). Wondering if you could take a look at this autoloader and let me know where I'm going wrong. I can run some screen shots if needed.

Read the rules and updated my signature also.

Thanks

Edited by Lun9rMusic

Thanks J,

I 've set it to multi and with local midi OFF i'm now getting sounds on separate channels.

I am not seeing the program names changing on the triton like before and also some banks or not lining up with the names, some are but some are not. Do you have any idea what that could be?

Also I have attached the Logic Environment I'm working with so you know where I'm at.

Thanks again

autoloadtr.LSO

Korg Triton Environment

By select you mean get rid on the slash line? If thats the case then yes I have done that on "triton rack progs". AWESOME!

Yes, by "enabling" them I meant "click on them so that the slashes disappear" :mrgreen:

How do I change banks? Also when I change from "Triton Rack Progs" to "Triton Rack Combis" the sounds and names do not match up like the Progs

Since I don't have a Triton rack, I just assumed the "Triton Rack Progs" was the correct one to use since the other mentions Combis (and you are not in combi mode).

To change programs (and banks) you can use the Program parameter in the inspector:

inspector.png.d00050d2bc1a9471a90b00a11bd0c536.png

...or double click the name of the device in the track parameters:

doubleclick.thumb.png.f86200d16bf11e77eb849411a119fd47.png

J.

I can't even tell you how happy I am right now, thank you so much. So the Triton Rack Progs I can control all via Logic now and change banks no problem. I achieved this by enabling the multi mode on the physical rack itself.

One more question and I'm done.

Whats the deal with combis then?

Would I have to select the Combi mode on the rack? would the same apply with selecting banks? Would I be able to multi track the combis or is that one at a time? By that i mean can I break down the separate instruments that make up that combo and trigger on different tracks?

Once again thank you so much for your help. Im buzzing! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Lun9rMusic , glad to hear things are working fine now! :D

Whats the deal with combis then?

Combi mode seems to be more performance-oriented (check the manual).

Would I have to select the Combi mode on the rack? would the same apply with selecting banks? Would I be able to multi track the combis or is that one at a time? By that i mean can I break down the separate instruments that make up that combo and trigger on different tracks?

If you want to use the Triton as a multitimbral device in conjunction with Logic, simply use Multi mode.

J.

THIS IS AWESOME!

All is good and working, thank you for your help I really appreciate it. Regarding the combis I will use them separately and bounce down to audio. I'm just glad I can make some use from the beast now. :twisted:

I will type up a conclusion for others once for others once I get away from the keyboard.

Massive thanks to David and yourself for the help. :mrgreen: