MIDI TC to guitar pedal, hum problem.

63strat

I'm using MIDI TC out to a guitar pedal, and the pedal is receiving clock no problem, but I'm getting a hum and what sounds like a clocking noise. I'm using a Duet 2 as my audio interface and a MOTU Fastlane for MIDI. The hum is only present when Logic is in play. Anything I'm missing here. Guitar pedal is a Strymon Timeline, with no word clock in as expected. Thanks.

I don't have a Timeline, but I have experienced something similar with my Adrenalinn 2 pedal. However, MIDI clock is 24 pulses per quarter note, so it sounds (to me) more like a drum roll than a hum. Mind you, this may be purely semantics (one man's hum is another man's drum roll ;) but I wanted to mention it in case it helps with the trouble shooting.

Please post if you figure this out, I'm curious about the Timeline.

I wonder if it could be 2 problems that are acting together.

1. Clicking (as a result of some weird MIDI clock interference).

2. 60 cycle hum due to any of the normal reasons with guitar pedals, unbalanced connections, etc. HOWEVER, if Strymon has a noise gate built into the patch, then this hum might be normally gated (i.e. not heard when Logic is not playing), but only comes through when the MIDI clock interference is present, because the level of the clicking is high enough that it opens the noise gate.

Have you asked Strymon? Before getting into esoteric troubleshooting I always try to make sure to review more obvious causes.

Are you sure Logic is even transmitting MIDI clock? It's a song setting (not a preference, so it needs to be enabled on each song, or, better yet, in your templates), and if you open a new project, the default setting is None (off).