New mac - drag and copy plugins over?

Davey

Hello! :)

I've just bought a new macbook and I was wondering if it is at all possible to copy and drag some plugin files from my old imac machine to my new one? For example, I have an external hardrive with all my kontakt and nexus librarys on there, as well as apple loop collections. Is it possible to simply copy the files that are on the machine itself (AU files etc) so when I connect my external drive to the new machine, it will see the supporting files?

Same goes for a whole host of files which dont have support files on an external - NI stuff, izotope, camel audio etc. Can these be copied onto the new machine into the same location (file structure)?

Both machines are running Mountain Lion if that info is of any use?

Cheers

David :)

No. You normally need to reinstall those plugins as otherwise they may not work correctly.

In particular NI plugins and Nexus are both very fussy programs and require a proper reinstall to work correctly.

You can however, copy over Apple Loops ( which you will then need to add to and then reindex your Loops browser so Logic sees them,..) and any sample Libraries.. along with any presets you have created yourself to a new drive.

You have to know what you mean with Plugin files. The whole scenario is very complex and almost every plugin relies on a variety of different files placed in different locations. Different Plugins require their own procedures and structure what you can do, and not, and how.

Basic considerations about different file types of a Plugin:

• * The actual Plugin: These are the actual plugin apps that are located in the system or user directory on your boot drive (Library>Audio>Plug-ins>Component). You cannot move those to an external (non-boot) drive.
    * Copy Protection. Welcome to that nightmare. Some plugin store hidden files in hidden places, some with most stupid (they think clever) procedures. They are placed during installation.
    * Data files (sounds, etc). Usually this is the type that can be moved. The exact procedure varies. Some plugin lets you point easily from the app, others have to be specified during installation and others require a specific (boot drive) location, but you can place an alias file there that points to an external drive.

Plugin Management (especially the copy protection part) is one of the biggest time sink. I'm running a separate database just to keep up with that.

Good Luck

No. You normally need to reinstall those plugins as otherwise they may not work correctly.

In particular NI plugins and Nexus are both very fussy programs and require a proper reinstall to work correctly.

You can however, copy over Apple Loops ( which you will then need to add to and then reindex your Loops browser so Logic sees them,..) and any sample Libraries.. along with any presets you have created yourself to a new drive.

My NI installation (Komplete 7) comes fine with Time machine and my source is 10.6.8 and destination is 10.7.5. and new computer. only activation needed done again.