Q-range question

strikingtwice

Does Q range Work as plus or minus? In the manual it only talks about if you enter a negative value. My understanding is that if I get something close enough, I should be able to enter a very subtle value and it will pull it closer to the note but retain the groove. In DP you selected ticks and it worked as plus or minus. Example it would only quantized something played within 20 ticks of the line. Is this the same as logics?

Here's the manual Excerpt.

Advanced Quantization: Q-Range: Q-Range is a very musical quantization strategy that requires a certain amount of technical musical prowess. It is ideal for recordings that already have the right groove, but are too hurried or laid-back in places. It allows you to retain the original feel, but positions the rhythmic center precisely in the groove. A value of 0 means that every note is quantized. If you enter negative Q-Range values, only notes that fall outside the set range are moved to ideal quantization grid positions, while notes closer to an ideal position remain unquantized. This moves the most poorly played notes (those outside the range) to perfect timing positions on the quantization grid, or at least towards these positions, depending on the Q-Strength setting

Hi

Depends on your situation/needs, but...

Positive: Quantise events close to my Q grid (say 1/8 notes), but leave everything else alone (say a beats-worth of quaver triplets (1/12)

Negative: My playing was generally OK, so only quantise events that are 'miles away', and leave those events that are close alone.

Your milage may vary :-)

CCT