Experiencing Recording Delay

KevinBigJam

Hey there,

I have just joined here after finding the forum and reading some very helpful threads. I have a problem with my new set up which is basically a slight latency on recorded audio.

I am running what should be a latency free system using an SSL Alphalink MX 4-16 converter rack connected to a madi extreme card.

If I set up a monitor channel set to inputs 1&2 of the SSL, the monitored audio plays exactly on top of the source signal with no delay so the actual set up is not causing the latency. The problem lies when I hit the magic record button. The recorded file is clearly very late compared to the original. I have a contact with the same set up as me (his computer is a little different) and his system does not replicate this. In fact he is very confused as to why I'm experiencing the problem since it should not occur.

My Computer is:

Logic (e.g. Logic 9.1.8)

Mac Pro OS X10.6.8 / 2 x 2.6 quadcore / 8 gig ram

My Pref's are:

Recording settings

1. Software monitoring = On

2. Plug In Delay compensation = Audio and software instrument tracks / All (neither change this problem)

3. Low latency mode = On.

4. Process buffer size = medium

Playback/mixing settings

1. Plug In delay compensation = On

All other settings remain unchanged.

If anybody has an idea of what can be causing this your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

As extra information I should also add that I have tested the problem in a brand new project with no plug ins by playing a drum loop on one channel, and rooting it from my external mixer straight to inputs 1 & 2. Monitoring the new record channel is latency free but upon actually recording it the latency is generated.

Strange one indeed ;)

Have you ever done a loopback test with your current hardware to determine if the driver is correctly reporting the latency introduced by the audio interface? You should.

it seems to be a different amount needed in each project

Usually, a different offset may need to be applied when dealing with different sample rates.

J.

Have you ever done a loopback test with your current hardware to determine if the driver is correctly reporting the latency introduced by the audio interface? You should.

Nope I'll give that a go tomorrow thanks.

Usually, a different offset may need to be applied when dealing with different sample rates.

At present all projects are the same rates

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd offer up a reply to say this is fixed. I can't say which particular thing I did fixed it because I tried out a lot of things like deleting preference files from logic, re-installing the latest madi driver amongst others. It seemed at first nothing worked but on a fresh day it all worked out thankfully.

Thanks for any replies on the topic.

Yes this is on my long list of stupid logic bugs that should have been fixed along time ago. I've started using a clapper to sync audio it's so bad.

I've tried it with several different audio interfaces including Motu Ultralight, Apogee Duet 2, and now UAD Apollo. Always the same. For me it seems to have something to do with PDC for plugins on busses. It seems the worst when sending MIDI to a external synth and recording in on an audio channel. It always comes way early, and even late occasionally. I've tried calibrating the delay by looping back the metronome but the delay will change between projects and even in the same project with things are moved around.

Another thing that doesn't happen with Ableton so deductive reasoning puts the blame on....... yep.

Merry Christmas TK....

What makes this issue somewhat weird, is I also use an Ultralite and i don't have this issue at all... and I often send midi to external keyboards and record the return feed without any noticeable delay... It's pretty rock solid for me. I did the loopback test that J recommended.. and found there to be no problems.. or discrepancies.. and it stays solid in any/every project...

So, this seems to be another of those Logic/CoreAudio/OS X quirks that affects some people more or less than others... without any real understanding (by me at least) as to why that would be so....

As an aside.. when I have to use Cubase (which is rarely i will freely admit) I have all kinds of issues with syncing/delays/latency.. including the 'coming in too early' problem... that many people report with that app... but not in Logic... nor Live nor any of my other Audio apps..... Just Cubase... so, who knows!

Cheers!

And Merry Xmas to you!

Yes, it's a strange one. I'm pretty sure it's got to do with stacked UAD plugins on busses, but I haven't done a proper test. Pretty sure it doesn't happen on a new project but I'll have to test that. I'd like to blame UAD but it then doesn't happen in ableton. Sometimes, with the midi thing, if I use the External Instrument plugin rather than a midi track, it fixes the issue. But not always.

It's actually sending the midi out early. Like PDC happenning for all other tracks except midi tracks. Weird.

Oh well, I've kinda gotten used to lining them up visually now, it's not that much of a big deal.