Apogee duet 2 and OSx 10.5.8. Any ideas.

georgerarnold

Not my lucky day. I've just bought a Duet 2 and it seems my mac has come of age and it is too old to go with the Duet 2. Crap.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything I can do? Anyway of updating my OS? I'm on OS X 10.5.8 at the moment on a macbook pro from late 2008, intel core duo. I think I need 10.6.4 at least so if I do upgrade, will Logic 8 still work with it? I'm guessing there'll be problems.

Will the upgrade cost lots/be a massive headache for someone who's not a wizzkid?

Please help,

Thanks.

I also read that there will be problems with my plug ins. Any advice? I've got some waves, abbey road, altiverb, psp vintage warmer.

It's a big palaver to back up the whole system incase anything goes wrong. I also read that some people really can't use lp8 with sl. Seems like it's gunna be hours and hours of work for something that might not work. Everything works great right now all I need is better converters, that's why I bought the duet.

Snow Leopard came out in 2009. I doubt any of the plug-ins you mentioned won't work in Snow Leopard by now. I know Waves and PSP work in SL for sure. For the rest it's just a matter of visiting the developers' website to check for compatibility (something you should have done before buying the Duet 2, too).

As you can see in my signature, I'm running Snow Leopard and Logic 8.0.2 (and Logic 9). I know others that still use Logic 8 and are running Snow Leopard without problems (except for the known bugs).

If you're still unsure and feel upgrading to Snow Leopard is too much of a risk, sell the Duet 2 and stay on Leopard. Simple.

J.

Ok, so I ordered the damn Snow Leopard. Gunna take weeks to arrive. Do you know the best and easiest way to backup and more importantly, revert to the backup (incase it all goes tits up). I've been doing time machine for a while but not sure if that backs up operating system and everything. Someone said something about carbon copy cloner but it seems confusing as hell. Any recommendations?

CCC will do a bootable clone which is what you will need to be back up and running in no time if you decide to revert. if you can't get along with it's interface, you could also try SuperDuper or Chonosync - they both offer the same function. Time Machine, for all it's attributes, will NOT give you a bootable backup of your system drive.

A cool backup strategy (ingeneral really) would be TM for incremental, date-choosable backups of individual files and folders, + one of the other 3 for a bootable clone of your system.