Note legnth issue in piano roll

Tom Cnyc

Hey guys,

I am using Logic 9. The last version of Logic I used prior to a few days ago was logic 5. Yeah, it's been a while. I am having issues with the piano roll where the notes don't fit right. For example, Let's say I had it set to enter 1/16th notes, the note that ends up entered is more like 1/15th or 1/17th, and I can't get it to fit the way it should. Is there something quite obvious that I am overlooking? This problem is intermittent.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey guys,

I am using Logic 9. The last version of Logic I used prior to a few days ago was logic 5. Yeah, it's been a while. I am having issues with the piano roll where the notes don't fit right. For example, Let's say I had it set to enter 1/16th notes, the note that ends up entered is more like 1/15th or 1/17th, and I can't get it to fit the way it should. Is there something quite obvious that I am overlooking? This problem is intermittent.

Thanks,

Tom

Is your "Snap to" clicked to on? Or quantisize on?

Hey guys. So - this has come back to haunt me. While the solution I listed above seems to work perfectly in the piano roll, it doesn't exactly help in the arrange window. A few issues. If I were to grab a bar's worth music, and copy and paste it elsewhere - it commonly does not paste properly. Typically it falls off by 1/16 note or something similar and plays annoyingly out of time. Also, if I change the length of the piano roll information in the arrange, I notice that it doesn't line up perfectly to the grid. Same as mentioned above, it ends up just under or just over. This is beyond frustrating.

I'm writing dance music, so a rigid grid is very much the preference.

I rarely use Smart Snap, as it depends on zoom settings, and rarely seems to give me what I want, unless I'm not worrying about precise positioning. Also, the Piano Roll has a separate snap menu/settings than the arrange page. So setting snap to division in the piano roll will have no effect in the arrange page. Also, screensets store their own arrange/editor snap settings, so watch out for that if you use/switch screen sets.

Set snap (in arrange or piano roll) to either bar, beat, or division. I prefer bar or beat in the arrange page for quicker editing. Then ensure that Snap to Absolue Value is checked. Easy, once you know how...

Screensets, which you can lock, or unlock then lock. Which saves the current window settings/layout. But these are only for the current project.

Otherwise, you'll have to save your own project template(s).

Funnily enough, I haven't got round to doing templates myself. So, I'm still getting caught out by Smart Snap (which is the default setting for the arrange & editors) when I start a new project! It ain't so smart!