Solo events not appearing in Environment Monitor object

RedBaron

Hi,

Here's my scenario:

I create an empty project with 1 stereo audio track. Automatic management of channel strips is enabled. Track Mute/Solo is set to "Fast (Remote Channel Strips)". I open up the environment and connect a cable from the audio object/channel strip to a monitor object.

If I click/unclick the MUTE button on the track's header in the ARRANGE AREA, the monitor object shows "F 1 9 1" etc.

However, if I click the SOLO button on the track's header in the ARRANGE AREA, the monitor object doesn't show any events.

But when I click the solo button in the inspector channel strip, mixer channel strip or environment object/channel strip, the monitor object shows "F 1 3 1" etc.

Can someone please explain to me why I CAN see events from the arrange area (track header) MUTE button, but nothing appears in the monitor object when I click the SOLO button in the arrange area (track header)?

Thanks.

Thanks for your response.

It's a bit of a pain.

I need to be able to pass mute & solo events to another environment object/channel strip.

At the moment, I can't see anywhere to catch solo events triggered from the track header. The inspector, mixer and environment solo events get passed on. It's just the track header solo button events that aren't showing up anywhere.

I can use groups, but due to my specific requirements, I'd end up using 16-24 groups in order to group 16-24 channel strip pairs. Plus I have to have an arrange track for each aux channel strip that I'm passing the solo events onto. That makes 16-24 arrange tracks that I don't need and therefore have to hide. I already hide lots of arrange tracks, so every time hit the unhide button I'd get 16-24 unnecessary/extra arrange tracks; it gets confusing trying to find the arrange track I'm temporarily trying to unhide.

It's not clear what you're trying to achieve... but obviously you won't be able to send anything by clicking a track's solo button.

Why do you need it to come from the track header specifically? After all, what does it matter where you click if you want to send a message by clicking something?

For example, you could create a button to send a fader (or control) message for the solo button and just patch it to the sequencer input object. The selected track's solo button will respond and also pass the message to any objects to which the track is assigned.

J.

I prefer to solo and mute from the track header because the mixer is a mess with large projects (even with selective view buttons) and I don't want to open up the mixer when I'm working on a midi region in the piano roll. The whole process just gives me eye strain and seriously slows me down.

A button to send a fader message may work, but what if I want to solo several tracks?

OK, thank you both for your input.

Patching a solo button would work but I don't know in advance which tracks I want to solo, so that would make repatching a pain. All I really want to do is Option-click a solo button and/or drag across multiple solo buttons etc.

Shivermetimbers, I can see what the solo button is doing but not quite sure how the I/O (in/out) text objects would function. Wouldn't clicking the solo button switch all of the I/O text buttons to In or Out at the same time? You mentioned a cable switcher, but I can't see a cable switcher object??

I think the reason logic doesn't send the solo event from the track/arrange solo button may have something to do with being able to set Track Mute/Solo to CPU Saving. But that doesn't explain why the mute button DOES result in an event appearing in the environment. It's not consistent. We should be able to catch all events coming from the track header buttons.

Interesting. I'm not able to try this out on Logic 9 at the moment, but I did try it out on Logic 8.0.2 and the behavior is the same as described: while in "fast" mode, clicking the mute button on a track generates fader 9 events, but clicking solo on a track doesn't generate any fader events. Strange!

Shivermetimbers, I can see what the solo button is doing but not quite sure how the I/O (in/out) text objects would function. Wouldn't clicking the solo button switch all of the I/O text buttons to In or Out at the same time? You mentioned a cable switcher, but I can't see a cable switcher object??

The In/Out text squares ARE the cable switchers and can be individually set to on/off to suit your listening needs. Once set, you can solo only the channels set to 'ON.' Having the cable switcher set to On (connected) will allow the solo button to active or deactivate the solo button for those channel strips.

Not sure why the arrange window solo doesn't show up in the environment monitor, but it will if you automate it.

I see now. You have to change the cable switcher's style to As Text, set the range from 0-1, and enter In/Out (on/off) value names by double clicking the cable switcher.

Still a little fiddly because, as far as I know, you cant Option-click or drag across the cable switchers to set some or all of them on or off.

But definitely something new I've learned that'll come in handy no doubt.

Thanks for that!

I see now. You have to change the cable switcher's style to As Text, set the range from 0-1, and enter In/Out (on/off) value names by double clicking the cable switcher.

You don't have to, because the default instance of the cable switcher is basically on/off when you click on it. The text is for easier identification.

I am still not sure what you are trying to do, but since it involves soloing, you may want to rethink your routing. You can also have more than one set of grouping.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=422726#p422726

I'm trying to set up an Expert Sleepers ES-4 SPDIF to MIDI system. This encodes sample accurate MIDI over SPDIF to an ES-4 device which then sends it to a MIDI port. I have 16+ MIDI ports to output to.

Each of the ES-4 MIDI ports requires an instance of a custom MIDI controller plugin on an aux channel. That's 16+ instances of a plugin that I've got to send MIDI to.

Each MIDI "synth" will then have it's own instance of an External Instrument plugin/track. That's 16+ instances of an External Instrument plugin each sending MIDI to their OWN instance of a MIDI controller plugin on an aux. I'm using External Instruments so that MIDI plus audio from my synths are on one track.

So when I solo an External Instrument track I wanted to solo the corresponding MIDI controller plugin at the same time by cabling each External Instrument to it's own MIDI controller (aux) channel strip in the environment.

But Logic isn't passing the solo event from the track header so this won't work.

Assigning a track to multiple groups won't help because each External Instrument has to have it's MIDI forwarded to exactly 1 MIDI controller plugin.