Exs Instruments take forever to load

mastermind59

I'm using a brand new mac pro, latest version of logic with a lot of high quality sounds, probably over 50gb's organized in the proper places within the exs instruments and samples folders. Almost every exs instrument is taking at least 5 minutes to load some taking over 10. I have repaired permissions, I even ran exs manager a few times to relink all the instruments and samples, but this unbearable problem will not go away. Any ideas on how to fix this, or is logic really this inefficient?

Thanks.

what exactly does project manager do, i'm new to macs and logic, but I have learned pretty fast, just never used project manager.. does it relink instruments and samples or something? i'm running a scan of the folder that holds the instruments and samples right now, but i'm not sure exactly what it does..

what exactly does project manager do, i'm new to macs and logic, but I have learned pretty fast, just never used project manager.. does it relink instruments and samples or something? i'm running a scan of the folder that holds the instruments and samples right now, but i'm not sure exactly what it does..

They must load in a second depending how big the bank is, but even my 200 zones banks load in 2 seconds.

I just swapped from pc to mac too, also own a 2.66 now.

Sometimes i use to wait for 15 minutes to load the next exs bank when i was on pc, it was scanning/searching all drives, even inserted cd's.

Maybe you have a network option running that exs try to enter for searching.

all my samples are on the main drive and i turn off external drives before using logic because otherwise it scans those also. I have a lot of high end sample libraries, i mean like multiple collections of 30-40gbs each. I ran project manager, did the scan, tested it still takes forever, ran exsmanager again, still the same problem. all my other programs run fine, and the only network connection I have is the internet which is connected at all times.

• 3 weeks later...

people have this problem a lot and i realize you've already tried project manager but there are a lot of ways to do it wrong in there and only 1 that will fix this problem, so here's some advice i offered previously which worked for numerous people..

You need to use Project Manager. Go in there and go to scan now to scan all of your instruments. Then go to some of your EXS instruments in the project manager file browser...go to an actual instrument and it should say something like "Random Instrument" (X number of samples/ X unfound). If you click the triangle next to an instrument all of its audio sample files come down, and if they are red, it means logic has to do the searching thing you're talking about. After youve scanned your exs instruments, set the project manager to scan folder...and scan you EXHD with all the EXS files/samples...then once that is done select from the menu something along the lines of resolve unlinked files. Let that finish and everything will load immediately.

oops,

sorry missed that one in your thread...

but uh, what´s goin´on though...

when did that started? i mean i´m running 100 gig´s of lib´s here, on an external drive (even journaled, i´m afraid), no exs manager at all, and even the killer-sets load within a minute...but that´s my new system, running for only three month now and on that external drive is nothing but the lib´s...which all got on there at once...

so there should be some point that changed your conditions...right?

give keymap a try....

http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/Compendium.html

the over all version...

people have this problem a lot and i realize you've already tried project manager but there are a lot of ways to do it wrong in there and only 1 that will fix this problem, so here's some advice i offered previously which worked for numerous people..

You need to use Project Manager. Go in there and go to scan now to scan all of your instruments. Then go to some of your EXS instruments in the project manager file browser...go to an actual instrument and it should say something like "Random Instrument" (X number of samples/ X unfound). If you click the triangle next to an instrument all of its audio sample files come down, and if they are red, it means logic has to do the searching thing you're talking about. After youve scanned your exs instruments, set the project manager to scan folder...and scan you EXHD with all the EXS files/samples...then once that is done select from the menu something along the lines of resolve unlinked files. Let that finish and everything will load immediately.

Well this worked for me, I don't get the annoying wait with the mds process using 100%cpu any more.

Thanks for the info

Andy

THANK YOU! PROBLEM SOLVED... took 6 hours to do, but now everything loads fast.. finally, i really really appreciate it.