Selective Restore of Controller Assignments ???

piccco1

Does anyone know if you can restore part of an old 'com.apple.logic.pro.cs' file in Library/Preferences?? I have a very large selection of controller assignments mapped out to a couple of different interfaces now and need to start from scratch because of some serious conflicts and note sends that seem to have been accidentally created but dont want to loose some of the good stuff that works fine.

I have deleted the .cs file, and created a back up, so my control surfaces get mapped to the factory settings but this will loose allot of work if i cant pick and choose from the assignments that are in my back up.

I've never tried, but I suppose you could do this:

1) Make sure Logic is not open.

2) Backup all your .cs files so you have copies of all of them: the current one, the old one, etc.

3) Place the .cs file that you want to copy FROM in your preferences folder.

4) Open Logic, open your control surface assignments, select the desired assignments and copy (Command-C).

5) Quit Logic.

6) Place the .cs file that you want to copy TO in your preferences folder.

7) Open Logic, open your control surfaces assignments and paste (Command-V).

Sadly this is a non starter. Had a blast, sadly it didn't work though, tried a few times but no luck.

Thought i'd try to copy and paste some apple loops between projects quitting Logic in-between and it turns out the cache is wiped at some point during quitting and re-opening process. Shame. It also crossed my mind that moving the file that the cache is referencing could have caused a problem if it wasn't for the previous issue.

Ingenious suggestion none the less. I'll just have to put in the leg work i guess.

You don't have to copy and paste Apple loops between projects.. but could use the Selective Track Import feature in Logic's browser to achieve that.. which would mean you didn't have to quit your current project... and load the old one clearing the caches in the process.

http://support.apple.com/kb/VI255

and for more detail...

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/how-to-use-selective-track-import-in-logic-pro-9/

(Edited to reflect comment about not having to quit current project)

Copying the Apple Loop was just a test i did in order to see if the cache was wiped when quitting logic. The query i had regarded partly restoring controller assignments from a back up as opposed to the complete .cs file in Library/Preferences. Doing this removes all your current assignments but i would like add old assignments from the back up.

Even tho i've reassigned all the assignments which i had now i'm still interested to know if this is possible. My only thought is that if you edit the code inside the .cs file you could copy the relevant parts over to a duplicate of the one you wish to add to (better safe than sorry), and then replace your master with the edited version. Not sure how to edit the .cs file tho. There is nothing native on mac to edit it.

Will give it another look when i have a bit more time on my hands and try and get the appropriate editor. Potentially more trouble than its worth tho.