Input monitoring - latency problems

stlpck

I recorded a drum kit yesterday and I had some ,input monitoring, latency problems with the drums, in the headphones. Not real bad but enough to drive the drummer nuts. How do I correct that situation? Does Logic have provisions to solidfy the latency issue? I'm using Apogee AD-16X and DA-16X convertors.

You need to describe your setup a little better...

What kind of interface are you using? The Apogee Firewire cards, or another interface? A description of the spec's of your machine would also be helpful...

As far a Logic goes, go to Logic Pro>Preferences>Audio and select the Drivers tab. There is a setting for I/O buffer size, set it as low as you can without causing problems. If you still can't get what you want, try running the cue for the drummer back out through your interface (it probably has some sort of Software Monitoring) to 'bypass' Logic in the cue loop.

Hope that helps.

Best, Marcel

I'm running a Mac Pro, dual 3.0, 4GB ram, Smyphony PCI card, 2 X-symphony cards. The monitoring is coming back out through the AD-16X, output 1-2, into channels 1 & 2 on a Mackie 32X8, just for monitoring purposes, using aux's 1-4 for headphone monitoring. When I record, I set the individual outputs on my record channels to 3-4, up to 15-16, whatever best suits the needs for multiple monitor mixes. I'm experiencing a little slapback and would like to be able to eliminate the delay, if possible. I don't record with any plugins on the channels, either. Thanks...

Reduce your I/O buffer size in Logic, that should do the trick. Your setup sounds like it's probably as fast as it gets, running native. I don't think there are any problems there.

AFA your analogue setup goes, if you're using the sends on the mackie, why not just create monitor mixes with these off your returns, instead of monitoring out through a separate set of outputs like you describe?

Best, Marcel

I'm running a Mac Pro, dual 3.0, 4GB ram, Smyphony PCI card, 2 X-symphony cards. The monitoring is coming back out through the AD-16X, output 1-2, into channels 1 & 2 on a Mackie 32X8, just for monitoring purposes, using aux's 1-4 for headphone monitoring. When I record, I set the individual outputs on my record channels to 3-4, up to 15-16, whatever best suits the needs for multiple monitor mixes. I'm experiencing a little slapback and would like to be able to eliminate the delay, if possible. I don't record with any plugins on the channels, either. Thanks...

It should be your buffer setting. At Namm this year, Apple had a MBP with the Symphony card.. showing off a 1.6 ms latency. Scott had a song up with something like 54 ESX instruments loaded for a large Score, and he was trackng a piano over it live.

Although the guys over @ Apple Discussions>Logic Pro... have a test set up to test your cards I/O latency (which software can't account for yet). They say they are also finding "hidden" latencies from some of Logics Plugin ... with PDC set to all.

Yea, Telefunken AK47. Finally I have a nice tube mic also.

Isn't the 149 the one Alicia Keys uses most?

I was at a mic shootout/party with the Mods from the Gearslutz forum in my building, and I was very impressed with this mic, against many others.

The guys from Telefunken were there too. Very nice guys.