Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 v Lexicon Alpha+ART Tube MP Studio V3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar query! Just bought the new 21.5 inch iMac (running OS X 10.8.2 and Logic 9.1.8) and need to get an audio interface for around $150. It's purely for recording one track at a time of vocals (using an Audio Technica AT4040) or guitars. Other than the fact that the Focusrite itrak has only one input, what's the difference between this and the 212? The 212 is actually a little cheaper.

My biggest concern is... do they run with USB 3? I have an MBox from 2009 and even with new drivers installed it won't work properly with the new iMac.

Thanks very much!

Mark

I have not seen any USB 3 audio interface out there yet. Thunderbolt is only available with add-on card on UA's Apollo.

Focusrite 2i2 is USB 2.0.

Focusrite iTrak is made for iOS devices. I would not consider that if I am recording with iMac or Macbook Pro.

My main concern is the preamp, but the Lexicon is from 2006 and might not work well with Logic, so I decided to might as well get a better interface with good mic pre. I did not go with the "Lexicon Alpha+ART Tube MP Studio V3" set up which would cost around $120.

ART would sound warmer.

Focusrite is renowned for their clear preamp.

At some point, I was also considering M-Audio Fast Track C400, but after reading all the mixed reviews...

I decided to go with Focusrite 2i2 because of the reviews and it's preamp plus it's on sales online for only $109. Go Google.

My band members might had just got it yesterday, but I have not tried it so I can't review it yet.

I made this decision based on reviews and watching YouTube videos.

Hopefully next week, I could meet with my band and record something.