Automation questions

Matcher

I'd appreciate some advice how to improve my workflow when using automation.

- is there a way to make MIDI regions remember which automation/ MIDI data to show in the automation lane when the region is opened in piano roll? Now, when I open a region which has pitchbend automation data, the automation lane first shows up empty, and when I click autodefine the lane goes away, and when I open it up again, it shows the pitchbend data. I'd like the MIDI region show the same info that I had it showing before closing the piano roll editor.

- is it possible to record MIDI automation straight inside a MIDI region that already contains notes, so that another region that contains only the recorded automation data is not created?

- is it possible to put automation tracks in folders, so that I can click open a bunch of automation tracks at once?

What you're referring to here is not track automation, but Hyper Draw.

Hyper Draw a is graphical view of MIDI data such as pitch bend, modulation and velocity. This data always follows the region and can be viewed in the Piano Roll and directly on top of the region in the Arrange window (the latter is not as detailed as in the Piano Roll due to the smaller size).

Track automation data is something else. It is used for controlling channel strip functions like volume, pan, bus sends, mute, bypass and plug-in parameters. Track automation data is overlaid on the tracks and is not tied to the regions, though it can be moved and copied simultaneously with the regions. Press the A key to open Track Automation View.

The MIDI volume and pan parameters available in Hyper Draw are not to be confused with the identically named track automation counterparts, though they work in much the same way on MIDI instruments.

Instead of using Hyper Draw > Autodefine you can setup key commands that open any particular type of Hyper Draw MIDI data. Open the Key Commands window by pressing Option + K and search for "Hyper Draw". For instance you could assign velocity to Shift+V, pitch bend to Shift + P and modulation to Shift + M. Simply replace any existing key commands if you do not use those regularly.

The reason why the displayed data changes and goes away is because the Hyper Draw > Autodefine is a toggle type function.

- is it possible to record MIDI automation straight inside a MIDI region that already contains notes, so that another region that contains only the recorded automation data is not created?

Again, this is not to be confused with track automation data, since it is actually MIDI data viewed in Hyper Draw mode. The answer to your question is yes. Here are the instructions:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26section=21%26tasks=true

Basically, activate the Project Settings > Recording > MIDI > Overlapping Recording > Merge with Selected Regions

Then select the existing region and start recording. This will record the new MIDI data into the existing region instead of creating a separate region.

- is it possible to put automation tracks in folders, so that I can click open a bunch of automation tracks at once?

I assume you mean MIDI data and not track automation. I think the solution to your wish is to use the Hyper Editor for this, since it enables you to view end edit many types of MIDI data at once. Personally I find the Hyper Editor fiddly and outdated, so I do not use it.

If you meant track automation then yes, you can have multiple automation lanes per track by clicking the disclosure triangle in the lower left corner of the track header, when in Track Automation View mode. There is also a hidden track automation folder in Logic, but this is probably not what you are looking for.

What you're referring to here is not track automation, but Hyper Draw.

Hyper Draw a is graphical view of MIDI data such as pitch bend, modulation and velocity. This data always follows the region and can be viewed in the Piano Roll and directly on top of the region in the Arrange window (the latter is not as detailed as in the Piano Roll due to the smaller size).

Track automation data is something else. It is used for controlling channel strip functions like volume, pan, bus sends, mute, bypass and plug-in parameters. Track automation data is overlaid on the tracks and is not tied to the regions, though it can be moved and copied simultaneously with the regions. Press the A key to open Track Automation View.

The MIDI volume and pan parameters available in Hyper Draw are not to be confused with the identically named track automation counterparts, though they work in much the same way on MIDI instruments.

Instead of using Hyper Draw > Autodefine you can setup key commands that open any particular type of Hyper Draw MIDI data. Open the Key Commands window by pressing Option + K and search for "Hyper Draw". For instance you could assign velocity to Shift+V, pitch bend to Shift + P and modulation to Shift + M. Simply replace any existing key commands if you do not use those regularly.

The reason why the displayed data changes and goes away is because the Hyper Draw > Autodefine is a toggle type function.

Again, this is not to be confused with track automation data, since it is actually MIDI data viewed in Hyper Draw mode. The answer to your question is yes. Here are the instructions:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26section=21%26tasks=true

Basically, activate the Project Settings > Recording > MIDI > Overlapping Recording > Merge with Selected Regions

Then select the existing region and start recording. This will record the new MIDI data into the existing region instead of creating a separate region.

I assume you mean MIDI data and not track automation. I think the solution to your wish is to use the Hyper Editor for this, since it enables you to view end edit many types of MIDI data at once. Personally I find the Hyper Editor fiddly and outdated, so I do not use it.

If you meant track automation then yes, you can have multiple automation lanes per track by clicking the disclosure triangle in the lower left corner of the track header, when in Track Automation View mode. There is also a hidden track automation folder in Logic, but this is probably not what you are looking for.

I'm talking about both the track automation, to control plugin parameters, and hyper draw, which I'm referring as MIDI automation, since that data is put into the MIDI file/ region itself, and the data is embedded in the region and is not editable in the arrange view. The structure in which we have for example the recorded pitchbend automation and mod wheel automation in a different format in terms of editing, is not that logical when working inside a DAW with VI's. If there would be a need to export that MIDI region as a file, that has the automation data in it, it would make sense. I worked with a lot of polyphonic ringtones using General MIDI and MIDI automation, and in that case everything had to be programmed into the MIDI file. I might have read that it's possible to configure pitchbend and modwheel to show up like track automation, at least in another DAW that I recently used.

I'll try the key commands, as a workaround. I still don't understand what is the logic behind the automation lane disappearing when selecting Autodefine..as I understand it should look for most relevant MIDI data from that region, and show it, not disappear, and then show it when I click the lane open again..and it would be great if this functionality would be region based, so every time I need to edit a region with only let's say mod wheel data, it would show it straight away when I click the region open.

On some tracks I might have almost ten different track automation parameters running at times, and so far I've used the little triangle to show/ hide those lanes. If I need to edit all of them together I need to click all of them open, and hide them again, so it would be a lot faster to have a master toggle switch for all of those lanes, does the hidden track automation folder enable this kind of functionality?

The merging function in project settings is exactly what I was looking for that scenario, thanks!

On some tracks I might have almost ten different track automation parameters running at times, and so far I've used the little triangle to show/ hide those lanes. If I need to edit all of them together I need to click all of them open, and hide them again, so it would be a lot faster to have a master toggle switch for all of those lanes?

Alt-click the disclosure triangle.

Hi

I'm talking about both the track automation, to control plugin parameters, and hyper draw, which I'm referring as MIDI automation, since that data is put into the MIDI file/ region itself, and the data is embedded in the region and is not editable in the arrange view.

Region-based MIDI controller data and the like can be visible and editable using the Arrange Window HyperDraw function (View:Hyperdraw), as Lagerfeldt has already hinted.

Hyper Draw a is graphical view of MIDI data such as pitch bend, modulation and velocity. This data always follows the region and can be viewed in the Piano Roll and directly on top of the region in the Arrange window

HyperDraw is also available in the Score Editor, if that is of any help.

Some Region-Based MIDI data can be converted to Track Based, using the Track:Track Automation: Move Region Data options.

HTH

CCT

On some tracks I might have almost ten different track automation parameters running at times, and so far I've used the little triangle to show/ hide those lanes. If I need to edit all of them together I need to click all of them open, and hide them again, so it would be a lot faster to have a master toggle switch for all of those lanes?

Alt-click the disclosure triangle.

Sweet!

Hi

I'm talking about both the track automation, to control plugin parameters, and hyper draw, which I'm referring as MIDI automation, since that data is put into the MIDI file/ region itself, and the data is embedded in the region and is not editable in the arrange view.

Region-based MIDI controller data and the like can be visible and editable using the Arrange Window HyperDraw function (View:Hyperdraw), as Lagerfeldt has already hinted.

Hyper Draw a is graphical view of MIDI data such as pitch bend, modulation and velocity. This data always follows the region and can be viewed in the Piano Roll and directly on top of the region in the Arrange window

HyperDraw is also available in the Score Editor, if that is of any help.

Some Region-Based MIDI data can be converted to Track Based, using the Track:Track Automation: Move Region Data options.

Ok, I hadn't used View-> Hyperdraw in arrange window before, so I thought Lagerfeldt was referring to the white bars that represent the automation data in the region. This looks very good! And, I'll definitely try if I can convert my pitchbend and mod wheel data to track based automation so I can easily click all relevant automation lanes open at once.

All this missed info makes me think I should read the manual again..or grab David's book :)