Thinking about getting 'NI Abbey Rd Drums'. Thoughts?

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Native Instruments 'Abbey Road Drums' software, whether it's worth getting (and how to use it!) At the moment for my drums I have a cheap electronic kit which is hooked up to my Mac via USB. I currently just pick a Logic preset MIDI drum sound (eg: Acoustic Drums > 'Studio Tight Kit') then just play along with my guide music tracks in real time. Would it just be a simple case of purchasing the NI software, loading it into the Logic sound library and just triggering the Abbey Rd drum sounds like I do with the existing MIDI kits or is there summat more to it? Thanks!

I don't believe you can demo the actual Abbey Road library.

As for the rest, yep, it would work pretty much just like Logic's own instrument. Create an instrument channel, load kontakt, load the drum library into it and play it via your midi drums.

Note that Kontakt + the sample library can put more strain on your computer and need more ram than your average EXS24 patch.

I'm running Kontakt on a 2010 MBP w/ similar specs and w/ 4 GB of RAM. On my machine, Kontakt really isn't the most efficient plug-in, to say the least.

I tend to run it when I have no other option, i.e., for Scarbee bass. But even w/ such a small library, I feel that it doesn't perform as good as it could.

Abbey Road drums has an option to load either the full kit or a lighter version. The light version of the library would probably be your best option while recording, and then you could render using the full version.

I own Abbey Road Drums (70s) and Studio Drummer, as well as an older version of Steven Slate's library in Kontakt format, but the most efficient drums plug-in for me is EZ Drummer/Superior Drummer. Plus, you can buy all those cool expansions, and the Toontrack stuff is quite often on sale.

There is a demo available on Toontrack's website. If your mind isn't set on getting exactly the sound of the Abbey Road kit, you might want to check it out.

i have the abbey 70' kit library and it's a fantastic sounding bit of kit...very meticulously sampled with lots of articulations, velocities and round robin's

bought it solely fo the tight kit, as it's something i didn't have properly covered by the other 60 gigs worth of drum libraries

it can be quite a heavy beast, but still manageable on my 6 year old mbp with 3g ram....there are tweaks that can be made within the interface to lighten the load, but if you can expand your ram it would help

i hate kontakt but this has quite a good self-contained interface...having said that there are some tweaks i wish i could make that aren't available to mr

maybe later i can record a little demo of how dynamic this thing is

Great! I'm seriously tempted as I have now upgraded my RAM. Big question: Which one to go for the 60s or 70s drums? I wish NI did a free trial so I could try each out first as I can only afford one. I'm thinking Kontact is free though?

for me it was only the 70's tight kit i wanted, but then i have most other areas covered...

completely depends on the kind of sound you are after...listen to the demos on their site, and if i get around to it i'll post a freestyle demo on my pads to see if i can show what it is i love about the 70's kit

i actually waited years to buy it, because i only wanted one kit and the price seemed to steep for it...eventually scored it from kvr marketplace for about 35euros, instead of 100 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: