Automatically begin recording when music starts playing?

Lal

If you're talking about having Logic detect the onset of audio signals (or MIDI) and it starts recording from that instant then no, there is no such feature. If you want Logic to drop into record at a pre-defined point as Logic is playing then what Vid said is certainly the way to go -- autopunch.

There is also the "capture" feature which allows for MIDI (and I believe audio as well, to some extent) to be recorded after-the-fact. For MIDI, you can play along while Logic is running but not be in record. During that time, Logic will record MIDI "behind the scenes" in a buffer. At any point during playback (or immediately after hitting Stop), you can hit a key command that will place what you've played on a track.

But none of the above is the same as Logic starting to record upon receiving MIDI or audio signals.

How do i do that?

Autopunch is easy. Just look down at the transport bar (across the bottom of the arrange window) and on the right you'll see several round buttons in a row. It's the one with the upward and downward facing arrows next to each other.

Click that and it will turn red. You'll see a red bar pop up on the top of the arrange window. You can then just drag the edges like you're setting up a loop. Hit record any time before the beginning of the red marker and when it gets there it will punch you in automatically. Just make sure you pull the right locator out far enough to actually record what you want.

In my early years as a reporter I used this mono cassette recorder (by Philips, I believe) that had this feature - it would start after detecting sound above a fixed threshold, and stop after more than one second of silence. This was handy because cassette tapes have a limited length, and battery life was short.

While for spoken word it can be useful, problem is you'll always miss the first portion of sound (I often had to reconstruct from memory the first word(s) of such a "punch in" point).

Edited by Eriksimon