mind boggling quantization

rakewell

For the life of me I can’t understand Logic quantization when it comes to aligning notes on the grid. The first picture shows the original note.

pre.png.1f94b6b975675baeb51fa5365524a2f4.png

The second picture shows the note after I press the quantize button set at 1/16th note (I know setting it to 1/8 would solve this particular example but I also have other notes that are aligned to 1/16 note position).

post.png.7bc247b5161ffa7fef967e88f24a9e34.png

Why would Logic move the note to the beat before the bar when it appears to be much closer to the bar? Are there any settings I can tweak to make Logic a little "smarter"?

There are many aspects to consider when dealing with quantization in Logic, as it could be addressed at various levels that could interact with each other. For instance, note level, region level and track level. Also the quantization could be absolute or relative. Additionally there are secondary parameters that could come in play...

Mind boggling indeed, but of unparalled versatility AFAIK.

I would strongly recommend some reading...

Perhaps, but with no other settings changed except the quantize pop-up menu (no settings set on region or track). Notes should be aligned as close as possible to the nearest beat division corresponding to the value in the pop-up. Anything else seems to be random guess work on the part of Logic.

Why would Logic move the note to the beat before the bar when it appears to be much closer to the bar? Are there any settings I can tweak to make Logic a little "smarter"?

There's probably a reason for this unexpected behavior. First, what is the exact position of the region start? You can figure that out by click-holding the region in the Arrange area and reading the position in the help tag that pops up. In Logic, quantize is referring to the region start.

If you want to attach your project to this thread I'll have a look.