Favorite third party or in house Buss Compressor?

Hey all, just wanted an idea of what you guys are using on your drum buss compressors in the box and what you like about them. Any and all plugs are welcome. I find myself going back to the StillWell audio Bombardier more and more lately, that thing can make some drums SMACK! The controls are super intuitive and the several modes make for a fun little party for your drums. The T Racks 2A does something serious for volume control. Its like putting honey on your toast instead of plain old butter. Feel free to chime off!!! Curiosity killed the Bat. . . or was that bane?? 8)

Most of the time, Logic's own comp: on tracks + on busses + on the main outputs. I absolutely love that plug-in - it's one of my favorite plug altogether.

It's really worth putting the time learning this one in details, trying to replicate the results you get w/ other compressors - something I often do in my time off. With the various modes and the optional distortion, there's almost nothing you can't do w/ it. But, unlike a 2A or a 1176 or whichever, it doesn't push you into a particular direction, so it may not seem as inspiring.

As for 3rd party stuff, McDSP's Channel G Dynamics - I also like quite a bit. And Wave's Kramer Pye - works great on the drum bus for certain things.

Logic's Compressor is sure a fantastic tool. I just like to switch to something else when I'm bored of it, or occasionally for other reasons. I love Bombardier too, I just hate the fact that it's still 32-bit only. It's really versatile and does quite an amazing job as a mastering compressor too, though it can be a little coloring if pushed. Otherwise there's Klanghelm's DC1A which has a unique approach and gets some crunch into the mix. Great for glue and some fuzz and warmth.

I agree with you both. Logic's in house compressor is veerrryyyyy sleek looking and the controls are so user friendly it's hard to believe it comes packaged. I suppose you could say that for most of their plug ins. Personally I use it on separate tracks more than my busses and same as you division, sometimes you just want to see what else you can get out of a new fresh GUI from a spankin new plug. BUT I will say more often than not, I do come back home to Logic's tools. I've been meaning to see what their in house multi band compressor can do as I have only really ever dabbled in the actual mix process. I've never used McDSP but I have heard pretty good things.

I mean if I had the horsepower I'd probably run a better bit depth but I dunno if my old guy could handle it lol but I couldn't agree more. I work predominantly house and electronic music. When you push that Bombardier you can really get some, I wouldn't say analogue color but it's some color on the spectrum.

Thanks for the input.

@divison. . .what the heck is the DC1A. . .don't believe I've ever heard of it. . .curious to know a bit!

I tend to use output comps for my drum buss but there are some cool plugins that I often use too:

the kush audio one is cool - UBK1

I also like to use the Nomad Factory 'Magnetic' plugin [its a tape sim but is fun for saturated crunchy drum stuff]

the Airwindows plugins are good too - well worth a demo and very reasonably priced.

oh and the newly modelled UAD 1176 is v v nice...thats probably the best plugin compressor around at the moment.

Airwindows huh. . .never heard of them nor Kush audio for that matter. Look like pretty nice plugs though, Ill have to try the demos out. . . Im hopin once I upgrade my system Ill be able to afford the UAD plugs I hear they are some of the best on the market!!!! I have yet to even touch any of them.

I haven't used it but I hear Voxengo Elephant can be good not only for mastering but for some smacking drums. I use the Deft Compressor sometimes. With the right settings you can really make things shine and punch. That is if your into that sort of thing. Voxengo and T Racks make some great colorful plugs that are affordable. Personal preferences I guess but I like a little something else to my drums, gives um that in the garage or in my basement feel. Not to much thrash and trash but just a littttllleeee something extra! ;)

DC1A is Klanghelm's free compressor. It's one module of their flagship DC8C.

http://www.klanghelm.com/DC1A.html

I really like it, especially considering its price and the fact that it's 64-bit. Do go ahead and try it out.

And I agree with you Nick, eventually I come back to Logic's own stuff too. Especially when it comes to EQ. 95% of the times Logic's Channel EQ is MORE than enough for me.

Ill have to try this Helm out and see what the fuss is lol no but seriously I'm always looking for affordable plugs to try out. It amazes me how some of these guys get away with making the free plugs they do, because I'd bet most are audio guys as well as programmers and most know what they wanna hear and how a plug should sound. So cheers to them.

Sure I own some of the big name stuff from Izotope and Waves and the like, but it's more fun to me to mess with something a small time developer has worked hard to put together for us Hz Heads. People helping people type of thing I guess.

SSL man. . .wayyyy under rated company. . .pricey but for a good reason. Ill bet that thing slams. This Flux I'm interested in (strokes beard) I feel like being in the US is inhibiting me, I don't hear enough of these great plug companies lol that GUI looks verrrryyy sexy.

. . .I hear it's more for mastering but has anyone tried The Glue?? I've only heard good things have yet to try it though on anything.

SSL man. . .wayyyy under rated company

Under rated... Like Coca Cola.

There was a time when probably 9 out of 10 hit records were mixed on SSL. I would guess that even in today's ITB world, that figure is probably still around or above 5 out of 10. Most of that Rihanna/Katy/Kanye stuff gets banged thru a 4k at the end of the day.

The G bus, and the (basically identical) Smart C2 , are my favourite program compressors for most material. Sometimes a pair of Neve 2254s are nice, too, although more fiddly.

Best, Marcel