MIDI Tempo twice as fast in Pro Tools?

renemoffatt

Logic Pro/Forum newbie, so apologies if this question has been posed.

I'm working with a producer who is using Pro Tools but I'm recording midi with Logic Pro.

We've set our sample rate (44.1) and tempos to be the same @76bpm. I record my piece, export the midi selection to its own midi file. When I reopen with Logic, the .midi sounds fine and retains its 76 bpm. But when my producer opens the file in Pro Tools, the midi opens up at a tempo twice as fast... therefore the recording plays twice as fast.

Is this issue on the pro tools end or logic end?

Thanks!

It's why Pro Tools is so good: it's twice as fast!

And you both are in 4/4 time?

The meter has no influence over the speed - try it out on any of your existing projects: you can set the meter to any value, the tempo will not change; I'd expect Pro Tools to also use the meter in this way: for display purposes...

It's why Pro Tools is so good: it's twice as fast!

And you both are in 4/4 time?

The meter has no influence over the speed - try it out on any of your existing projects: you can set the meter to any value, the tempo will not change; I'd expect Pro Tools to also use the meter in this way: for display purposes...

Yes, in fact it does. Especially depending on how the region are imported. Playing gospel for instance and dealing with a lot of 3/4, 6/4, 6/8 etc. A region imported into 6/8 created in 3/4 will 'play' twice as fast. (It may be the other way around but, I'm still recovering from last night's service.:)

Anyway, there are time's when I must time stretch or shorten the region to play in tempo...

Forgive me, let me explain it another way. At 80 beats per minute in a song created in 6/4, we're talking about 13 measures before a minute elapses, if I am not mistaken. In 3/4 time, about 26 measures will elapse. Half Time, double time- the tempo doesn't change for these to occur, it's meter. Am I missing something?

Not my point regarding changing tempo, really. It's about working in one time signature versus another. Because let's face it, simply changing the meter in Logic to 3/4 does not put the song in three four. Engage the metronome, if you doubt me. In fact, engage the metronome for 3/4 versus 6/4 and simply listen.

If I record in 6/4 and record in 3/4 -at the same tempo- and try and combine the two there is going to be a difference. Using the analogy I gave in my earlier post, within the same amount of time, I am either going to be in the 13th or the 26th measure. So basically, I would have either played 3 and 1/3 bars of music in a minutes time or 6 and 2/3. Anyway I slice it, given the same chord progression, that's faster. But, I won't argue it anymore. I have both experienced it and can replicate it.

Tempo is fairly irrelevant until given a time signature to put it into a context...

Engage the metronome, if you doubt me. In fact, engage the metronome for 3/4 versus 6/4 and simply listen.

For your example above... Counting 1...2...3 or 1...2...3...4...5...6... is still the same tempo/speed.

In a score the only difference would be the bars are longer or shorter.. but the tempo./speed does not change... unless you make it so.

If I record in 6/4 and record in 3/4 -at the same tempo- and try and combine the two there is going to be a difference.

Have you actually tried this? If you do, you will find there is no difference... Remember we are not talking about Bars per Minute in regards to tempo... but in essence, using your example.. quarter notes per minute...

For your example above... Counting 1...2...3 or 1...2...3...4...5...6... is still the same tempo/speed.

In a score the only difference would be the bars are longer or shorter.. but the tempo./speed does not change... unless you make it so.

Sigh, in this part of the world, those measures mean everything. First, I mentioned the metronome but, perhaps I wasn't as specific as you would like. Apart from the measure length (3 beats versus 6) in 3/4 vs. 6/4, I was replying to someone who said there is no difference in 4/4 vs 3/4, etc. as it relates to tempo. So yes, you found one isolated example where, except for how you count the measure, it's sounds similar.

Now do that with 6/8 vs 4/4 or 5/4, etc... Depending on the chord progression and how many beats you hold each chords, the 'perceived' tempo can be greatly different. I mentioned my mental fatigue so, now that I am clearer, I should have said 6/4 vs. 6/8. They are greatly different, listening to the metronome. In fact, if my chords are playing 6 beats per measure, I have to double the tempo to achieve the same 'feel'. So yes, I have recorded songs in 6/4. Reworked, them in 6/8 or at what 'feels' like the same tempo without remembering the meter of the original project. I've then imported the regions from one into the other and they do not play fair...

I will also say again, those bars are everything. that how we play music. Or, at least I do and if the verse is 16 bars and it takes a minute to play it. If I am in the 32 bar after a minute has elapsed, I am through the chorus of the same song...

peace...