Headphone output on new iMac dead? [SOLVED]

Anybody else have or had this problem? I already went under System Preferences then Sound. My output volume is set to internal speakers as well. Tried different sets of functional headphones and the headphones are [were] definitely plugged into the jack. What to do?

I want to use my iPhone earbuds to cross-reference my Logic mixes with my studio monitors.

Thanks.

What is Output Device set to in Logic Prefs>Audio>Devices>Core Audio? I assume you have it set to your Focusrite interface. Set it to Built-in Output. Does it work now?

Thanks Scott.

I switch back and forth, reluctantly of course, between my Focusrite and the Built-in Output quite often to contrast my mixes. Unfortunately, I've got the Output Device set to Built-in Output right now.

I think I may have dead headphone output.:cry:

Oh well...

You could also create a Multi-Output device in Audio MIDI Setup and use that as your default output for the OS and Logic; that way you will not have to switch every time you want to use the built in for crossreferencing. The multi out will mirror the output to all included devices.

[attachment=0]pic 2013-01-03 at 11.42.28.PNG[/attachment]

Thanks Eriksimon. I was unaware that one could do that. I've been switching back and forth between the two by having to constantly manually adjust the output preferences within Logic.

Will do!

When you set Logic to Built-in Output and you do not connect headphones to the headphone jack do you get sound through your iMacs built-in speakers?

Yep.

Something doesn't make sense...just bought the computer brand new from the Apple Store 4 months ago and didn't even know it had a headphone output to begin with until I saw it yesterday by chance. How can it not work? Ghosts in the machine...I guess.:lol:

When you set Logic to Built-in Output and you do not connect headphones to the headphone jack do you get sound through your iMacs built-in speakers?

Yep.

Something doesn't make sense...just bought the computer brand new from the Apple Store 4 months ago and didn't even know it had a headphone output to begin with until I saw it yesterday by chance. How can it not work? Ghosts in the machine...I guess.:lol:

Obviously that jack on the iMac should be working and you should have Apple repair it but why don't you use the Headphone jack on your interface? Seems it would be much more convenient than plugging into the back of your iMac.

Great idea. I'll have to get an adapter [i assume they are available] for the earbuds because my Focusrite headphone jack is for studio headphones only. There is no way I am lugging in my 27" iMac to the Apple Store to just get the headphone jack fixed. :shock:

Thanks again for the suggestions. :D

Great idea. I'll have to get an adapter [I assume they are available] for the earbuds because my Focusrite headphone jack is for studio headphones only.

Yes.

You can find them from cheap...

Hosa Stereo 1/8" Female to Stereo 1/4" Cable Adapter

...to expensive.

Monster Cable 1/4" Male Stereo to 1/8" Female Stereo Cable Adapter Black

If you have a Radio Shack near you you can pick one up for 5 or 6 dollars depending on which one you choose.

Gold-Plated Stereo Adapter, 1/8" Jack to 1/4" Plug

Then you'll have no need to switch Output Device in Core Audio or set up the multi-output device that Erik mentioned.

Thanks again for the suggestions. :D

You're welcome.

When looking in your system preferences, sound, output, you should see "Internal Speakers" when nothing is connected to the output jack. If you connect headphones to that jack the name changes to "Headphones". If the name does not change and stays on "Internal Speakers" and you keep hearing the sound from the speakers when headphones are connected, then yes, the headphone jack is busted.

I've had the same issue: busted headphone jacks on new iMacs after only a few months. If your iMac is still under AppleCare run to the Apple store to get it fixed for free: even if you don't use those jacks, having them busted will decrease the resell value of your iMac.

I must have purchased 25 Macs in my life and 2 of them had that problem, unfortunately after AppleCare was over. The Apple Store suggested a $200 built-in audio card replacement but they said they couldn't guarantee it would fix it, so I never fixed them, I just use an audio interface with them.

When looking in your system preferences, sound, output, you should see "Internal Speakers" when nothing is connected to the output jack. If you connect headphones to that jack the name changes to "Headphones". If the name does not change and stays on "Internal Speakers" and you keep hearing the sound from the speakers when headphones are connected, then yes, the headphone jack is busted.

I've had the same issue: busted headphone jacks on new iMacs after only a few months. If your iMac is still under AppleCare run to the Apple store to get it fixed for free: even if you don't use those jacks, having them busted will decrease the resell value of your iMac.

I must have purchased 25 Macs in my life and 2 of them had that problem, unfortunately after AppleCare was over. The Apple Store suggested a $200 built-in audio card replacement but they said they couldn't guarantee it would fix it, so I never fixed them, I just use an audio interface with them.

Thanks for the advice. :D

When I plug my headphones in there is no name change. . .so I guess I have a dead headphone jack. I am going to just use my audio interface headphone jack instead like Scott suggested above. My Mac is still under Apple Care for another 8 months. . .so hopefully something else will break in the meantime then I'll have to take it in. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

For anyone interested or with the same issue...problem solved...I talked to Apple Support and it turns out I just needed to reset my NVRAM by simultaneously holding down Command, Option, P, and R upon bootup after shutting the computer down.

The headphone output works now!! LOL!

For anyone interested or with the same issue...problem solved...I talked to Apple Support and it turns out I just needed to reset my NVRAM by simultaneously holding down Command, Option, P, and R upon bootup after shutting the computer down.

The headphone output works now!! LOL!

WOW! That's great news. Makes me wonder if I ever tried that on the two iMacs I have that are presenting the same problem....?? I'll try again! Thanks for letting us know.