Plug-in delay compensation on aux tracks, phasing.

georgerarnold

Hi,

I know there are many topics about this but I just can't seem to solve my problem, I wonder if anyone can help me?

I'm trying to set up ghost compression by sending to an aux track but it just sounds out of phase. Now I guess there's something going on with the PDC but I can't figure out how to fix it. I've got the plug-in delay compensation set to 'ALL' so from what I understand there shouldn't be a problem. Am I missing something stupid? It's been like this for a long time but I've never let it bother me but this time I really want the ghost compression sound.

I'm using quite heavy plug-ins: On the track itself PSP micro warmer and Waves NLS channel and on the Auxiliary track waves kramer PIE, both of which are routed to out 1-2. I'm wondering if it's the plug-ins themselves that are miss-behaving? Even if I mute Kramer PIE on the aux track it still sounds like a phaser.

I'm using Logic 8, if it makes any odds.

Thank you for any help.

If I bypass the plug-ins on both the track and the aux send the delay is still there. I have lots of plug-ins on the song so instead of muting them all, to save time I moved the audio region to a new project (without any plug-ins) and tried sending it and there was no delay.

I really wonder what's causing this. It's concerning because I always have reverb on an aux send.

Welcome to my world :) Makes things like NY compression and mixing some distorted signal with the origional impossible. I have come to praise all plugins with a wet/dry control! Thing is, for me it seems to happen at random, and even a project that was not phasing at first will suddenly start having this issue upon loading it again later, seems to be no real pattern behind it. Because of the random nature and the fact that it can change makes me think it could have something to do with PDC and how logic distributes plugin's over multiple cores as it appears logic does this on the fly and may not distribute things the same way when you load the project next time.

Do you have very complicated routing in your project?

+1.

I managed to get a phasey sound by bussing an apple loop and its copy like this:

bussy.thumb.png.3b5ec5c02224b082ea29e4177ec83d5c.png

I got them to null with the help of the free Airwindows sample delay plug-in set to -5.79 ms (the project at 44.1 kHz).

If you're getting this phaseyness when setting up simple parallel processing, I think it must be related to the 3rd party plug-ins you're using and how they report they latency to Logic.

J.

There's no complicated routing. I've a fair few sends but nothing crazy. I think it's probably something to do with a plug in I'm using on the song but I don't know where to begin to figure out which one and then fix it.

If someone can explain how to show my screen shot up on here I'll show you.

Pro tools 10 does look amazing. . .

...to save time I moved the audio region to a new project (without any plug-ins) and tried sending it and there was no delay.

That's promising!

Try recreating the setup - adding one plug-in at a time - until you find the culprit.

What version of Logic 8?

8.0.2 was the last and most stable.

I've made a new discovery.

It's a little difficult to explain clearly but: The track I wanted the ghost compression on is an overhead mic which I've got routed to the drum group (bus 5), when I send to the ghost compressor (bus 7) it's all phasey. If I route the overhead track to out 1-2 it's all good.

I wouldn't call this complicated routing by any means, would you?

Surely if it works fine one way and not the other it's a problem with logic and not the plug-ins?

At least I've got some kind of work around until I can afford pro tools. . . . . .