Turn off tracks which are not soloed [SOLVED]

rjawad001

i've been running into a problem recently. logic says "system overload"

it happens while recording or on playback.

it happens when the music comes to a place where there are 5 or more midi regions on different tracks playing simultaneously.

i can see why this would be a problem. but the thing is, they aren't all playing. only one or two tracks at most are playing simultaneously. the others are not - or at least, they are not supposed to be. i think the computer is still processing them, even though i've turned them off. what i do is, i pressed the s button "solo" for the tracks i want to hear. the others tracks, i thought, are supposed to turn off.

how can i tell the computer not to process the tracks that are not solo-ed?

No, it just means that the solo and mute buttons take a second or two to react when you engage/disengage them, since they're no longer merely cutting off a digital audio stream, they are also relieving the CPU of all corresponding processing duty and the HD of all corresponding data streaming duties - which takes a second or two.

So if you mute/solo the desired tracks then press play you're good. But if you're a DJ intending to mute tracks on the fly and have Logic mute the track instantly when you click the M button, that's not going to work for you.

David, I don't know if this is a bug or what:

i'm not using the mixer. if i have a track soloed, and then i switch between the modes mentioned above, logic gets confused. for example, if i have track 3 soloed, then i switch to cpu saving, nothing else will play except track 3, no matter what i solo or unsolo. if i have track 3 soloed and then switch to fast response, it has a similar effect. it seems to stay stuck in the old mode if something is soloed and then any changes to the solo buttons have no effect. i have to unsolo everything and reopen the file to fix it. however, if everything is unsoloed first, and then i switch modes, it works fine.

No, it's not a bug.

You have to understand that soloing a track and soloing a channel strip is not the same thing in CPU saving mode, while it is the same thing in Fast (Remote Channel Strip) mode since the track header mute/solo buttons become remote for the channel strips.

If you switch mode with tracks muted/soloed then Logic has to figure out a way to make it work for you, so for example if you had a track soloed in CPU-saving and switch to Fast (Remote CS) mode then Logic turns on the solo lock mode for the regions on that track. You can disable that mode by clicking the yellow button in the transport bar.