Regrettable Reload Questions for Logic 9.1.7

Plowman

A nightmarish turn as I may have lost my system drive and my home account. I must ask some basic questions, things I never really understood or needed to know, as long as they worked.

1. When I run Logic now, it's asking for an audio driver, but no options are presented.

2. If I download 9.1.7 from Apple, how does it know I'm a registered user? In the old days, we had the XS Key.

3. In System Preferences, "Sound" shows no output or input devices. Shouldn't there at least be the analog ins and outs built-in to the machine.

• 2 months later...
2. If I download 9.1.7 from Apple, how does it know I'm a registered user? In the old days, we had the XS Key.

I'm sorry, I don't know the answers to your other two questions, but I'm pretty sure I can help with this one.

If you purchased Logic Pro on the Mac App Store (as I did too), then all you need to do is open the App Store, click on the "Purchased" tab, sign in and then re-install Logic Pro from there. Now of course unless you have downloaded the standalone installers for the content packages, you will need to download and re-install those too. There is no need for serial numbers or dongles with the version from the App Store.

If you purchased a boxed version, then I believe all you need is the serial number and original install disc. Once that's installed, you should be able to upgrade to 9.1.8 with the download from Apple which can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1601

Hope this helps!

soundpalace

P.S.: You really should always backup your system if possible. Time Machine certainly gets the job done for your system drive, otherwise there are the excellent SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner for imaging / cloning your OS drive. I personally use a combination of Time Machine and ChronoSync.