Guitar Players, How Do You Get A Good Rock Sound?

Its funny how different things work for different people/setups. I had almost the complete opposite experience, I prefer single coils for my amp sims. Actually P90s seem to be the sweet spot for me. I have a tele with a set of P90s that is just about perfect for amp sims, but a little too mid-heavy with my current live rig.

Since my last reply I've also discovered Kuassa amp simulations, and I consider them the best I've tried so far. Creme and Vermillion are excellent.

I recently got guitar rig and stole an idea from Queens of the Stone Age. I threw one of my guitar tracks through a bass amp. Sounds rad :D

Just throwing that option out there. I use it in conjunction with LAconvole and the free Marshall cab sim from redwirez. Wanna use their mixIR but no monies yet (GR5 was gift! :D an AWESOME gift!)

I found if I dial the volume back on the guitar to about 8 or 8 1/2 it seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of the amps in Logic. I do this a lot when I need a clean or slightly crunchy sound. If I need a rock/metal sound, I go wide open.

I'll have to try the bass amps. That should be interesting.

I'm a guitarist in my band and I've tried everything possible to have the best sound we can with our guitars!

For me there are only 3 way to get my sound but... with plugins now (amplitude 3 , pod etc ) you can get good results.

But for me and our other guitarist we wanted our amps sound, our own sounds.

1st:The best way: mic your amp and play :P

2nd: if you only need your amp sound, and don't need 10000 amps, give two notes torpedo a try. Our guitarist got the torpedo live and we use it a lot! They've just released the torpedo reload that me be a better choice for home studio, I'll be getting one for sure!

A loadboax with 50+cabs, re-amping ability, attenuator,Di and lot more for 800$

3rd the kemper profiling amp. This is just incredible, it is an amp cloner that feels, play and sound like an amp! I've tried them all, pod, pod hd, axe fx ultra and axe fx 2 and the only one that sound like my amp is this one! Around 1800$ but you have 10000 or different amps!

I cannot say enough about the EZMIX Guitar series ..I love them ...I’ll include a track I remixed , the stems I got were just acoustic tracks , I copy / pasted it into 2 channels and each channel I used a different instance / amp and effect , I panned one to the left one to the right also and the whole ezmix and guitars packs are really reasonable ..as a matter of fact I think you can get ezmix and 6 packs for $150 on amazon...anywho the first track is my remix the second track is the original

Orignal

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go. There's two I used in stereo. I THINK I might've used the yellow Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2 pedal...can't remember.

ReznorFragileEra1.cst

ReznorFragileEra2.cst

hope that helps!

If I might ask for some assistance too.... I'm totally buggered on how to sound like Adam Jones =( I just can't do it. The more I try it seems the more I totally fail. I read a recent interview where he talks about using 3 amps. 2 Diesel's and 1 "hot rodded" bass amp. 1 diesel focuses on high's, the other mids and the bass amp...well the bass I assume.

I know Justin Chancelor ALSO uses 3 amps for his bass sound and i've had much better luck getting his sound than Jones. I pretty much am terrible at rock/metal guitar tones apparently. Any help is appreciated.

I've played a ton of amp sims and for me Scuffham S-Gear with Redwirez IR's is the best I've found. Can't say enough about this combination. S-Gear comes with some Redwirez impulses but I prefer mixing the Boogie 212 cabs. You can buy individual cab impulses. This will take care of 30% of your tone, the rest is EQ so the guitar sits in the mix, but most importantly your guitar and fingers.

• 5 months later...