The limits of Time and Pitch Machine

Monkeymonkey35

Hey All,

So, I've been digging through some Time and Pitch Machine threads and reading about it being "finicky." Say maybe I want to change the pitch of a piano piece by Schumann (hypothetical): Is the TIme and Pitch Machine suited to this sort of task, or are added distortion and artifacts inherent in the process?

Apple's doc would lead me to believe that better results are to be had than what I'm getting (i.e. telephone effect)

Thanks!

Is the TIme and Pitch Machine suited to this sort of task

Yes.

are added distortion and artifacts inherent in the process?

It depends on the material, and we can't tell without trying and listening to the results. But in most cases you'll get the absolute best results if you purchase Izotope's Radius algorithm for Logic's time and pitch machine.

No 64 bit for radius and no plans of developing it. Really sucks.

Really? That does suck. I've been using it for years and it's been like this invisible helper with all kinds of sample ed stuff. Maybe Apple will step up to the plate and license the algo for future Logic versions. There's already a precedent for that; Cakewalk did this years ago and I think a dev for some 2 track editor has done the same.

For a different path for pitch shifting, take a look at Celemony's Melodyne.

It works standalone and as a plugin, allows you to edit audio, like you would midi.

Allows you to see and edit every note of a chord, export midi from complex audio.

Great for changing the timing of audio phrases.

8)

I've heard good things about Melodyne, but didn't know about those MIDI-from-audio capabilities. That's a really attractive feature. Thanks for the input!

edit: [sOLVED]