Create automation nodes at beginning and end of all regions?

JT3_Jon

Is there a key command and/or a quick way to create automation nodes at the beginning and end of all regions? Long story short I need to move my automation from Track based to Region based for some major surgery, and I've noticed that if the node is not created within the region it will be lost in this transfer. I also want to avoid having to merge all my regions if possible.

Suggestions?

Yes, it's weird that the command Move Visible Track Automation Data to Region doesn't transfer the automation properly if the nodes are outside the region but the following command does:

Move All Track Automation Data to Regions

Of course, this will only work if you want to move everything, not just the visible automation.

But getting back to your original question; this key command might be useful: Track / Track Automation / Create nodes at region boundaries.

Unfortunately, you can't do them all at once but you could do it fairly quickly by applying the keycommand each time you step through the regions with the arrow keys. After that, you can move the automation to the regions.

I'm actually still trying to figure out which one I like the best, but I seem to be using Move All Track Automation Data to Regions the most, though it always worries me when moving regions to not have the automation inside the region now, so I'm still using "Track / Track Automation / Create nodes at region boundaries" as a safety.

All I know is things can get VERY messy when moving a bunch of regions around that have a bunch of automation. Not fun, but glad it seems to be possible if you think through exactly what you need to do and double check your actions.

edit: After some tests I'm now wondering why I'm even moving track data to region in the first place when it seems as long as I create the boundary nodes the track automation seems to move with the regions just fine?

Couple more options I personally like better:

1) Use the Gain parameter in the region parameters.

Wish this worked on MIDI regions!

2) In Automation view, Option-click a region's name with the Marquee tool then inside the region, drag the automation line up or down: the 4 nodes at region borders are automatically created for you.

I've never tried this before so it took a bit of futzing before I realized how slick this is...... It seems that after you do the Option-click, you don't even have to drag the line, you can click anywhere in the region and the nodes are created on top of any existing automation! Way faster than applying the "create nodes" key command and advancing through the regions.

It seems that after you do the Option-click, you don't even have to drag the line, you can click anywhere in the region and the nodes are created on top of any existing automation! Way faster than applying the "create nodes" key command and advancing through the regions.

You're correct. I suggested you drag because typically the reason why you'd want 4 nodes at region borders is because you want to change the volume of that region? Just guessing though. :D

Yeah, that makes sense although most of the time I'm using the Marquee to do that to shorter areas within a region. Well, it was you who got me using the Marquee for so many editing tasks and now here's another one for the toolbox. And now that I think about it, this is the MIDI equivalent of what you can do with audio regions in the inspector. :)

• 3 years later...
It seems that after you do the Option-click, you don't even have to drag the line, you can click anywhere in the region and the nodes are created on top of any existing automation! Way faster than applying the "create nodes" key command and advancing through the regions.

You're correct. I suggested you drag because typically the reason why you'd want 4 nodes at region borders is because you want to change the volume of that region? Just guessing though. :D

Searching on forum and came across this. Is there anyway to adjust the automatic Ramp down and up between the nodes? I tried adjusting in automation preferences but it didnt make a difference. Thanks!

CK