Which New Macbook Pro?

Hey,

I'm currently using a late 2009 Standard Macbook, which has 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo processors and I upgraded the ram to 8GB. However, the songs I am producing on Logic have often 75+ tracks and my CPU cannot cope. Because of this, I am looking into buying a new MacBook Pro with faster processors.

Which one would definitely be able to cope with my projects (& plugins etc.) with no problems?

I have narrowed my choices down to the 13-inch: 2.9GHz duel-core model and the 15-inch: 2.6GHz quad-core, as they are the most powerful. There is a big price difference between them, so if the 13 inch model will definitely be able to run these projects smoothly then I don't want to spend an extra £500 unnecessarily on the 15 inch model.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply! Good point, but my macbook doesn't have a firewire or USB 3 port, only USB 2. Both the macbooks i suggested have USB3 and Thunderbolt, so from then on I can do that.

Would the duel-core not be enough?

To summarise my earlier post, is a 2.9GHz duel-core processor enough or is it worth and extra £500 investment for a 2.6GHz quad-core model?

From what I understand number of cores is the most influential component for increasing performance because Logic uses parallel threads to process channel strips based on how many cores you have. I'd guess that the extra cores will far outweigh the slight processor speed advantage.

As far as knowing if 2 will be enough, I have no idea. Maybe someone with more experience on a similar system can help with that.

Ahh Ok, thanks! I asked a guy at apple today and he said that the number of cores is a big factor. He did say that the 2.3Ghz 15" Macbook Pro should be ok to cope with the projects I'm dealing with.

So now the 13" is out of the question.

Will there be any noticeable difference between the 2.3Ghz and 2.6Ghz 15 inch Macbook Pros for running Logic with many tracks and plugins? (Both Quad-Core).