Migrated to new computer - where are my instruments?

evanduz

I migrated to a brand new (very cool) iMac: 3.4GHz i7 27" w/ 32 GB of Ram (Should be great for Logic!) After migrating my data from my old mac, none of the instruments that were downloaded as a part of the Jam Packs were transferred into their place in the library within Logic on the new Mac. The FOLDERS are there in the library (i.e. "Jam Pack 1") It even has the subfolders contained in them (i.e. "Bass" "Drum Kits" "guitars" etc.) there just isn't anything in them. Logic 9.1.8.

I noticed hat there was a "Download additional content" tab, but while I was able to select some things, and (presumably) download them, still no dice.

Thanks!

There is a quick fix to this issue if you have Garage Band installed... Reindex your Apple Loops in GB and then they will appear in Logic as normal...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2443

This issue tends to be caused by using Migration Assistant.... which is not the best thing for moving Logic across.... (It is much better to simply7 install Logic from scratch on a new computer than use MA) and once done Logic gets confused as to where the loops are...( It's a long standing 'bug' ) hence the use of the GB "fix' method...which for some odd reason sorts it out more times than not.

I tried it, and it didn't work. Installing is easier said than done. Even if I find the disks (which I might be able to, but after 2 moves and 2 computer upgrades, a quick look didn't locate them,) they still are DISKS. My new computer does not have an optical drive.

Garageband has an option to "download missing files..." even when I select to do this in software update, nothing happens (and, to make it odder and more frustrating, when I try to click on the instruments that were missing the file, it says "download in progress" and nothing happens - ever (and my network monitor confirms zero network traffic....)

Fun stuff!

• 4 months later...

Hello Guys

I just did the migration with Logic to a new mac mini & had the same problem

but by reading through in the forum I was able to understand why i could not find the instrument folder in Logic & that Logic uses the instruments from G. B. ,so I just copied the instrument folder over and so far its good. I would take Dave's advice but it was a pain mapping my controller and I tried to import a template for my controller but Logic would not import it and finally got everything mapped and working & then realized most of my es24 instruments were empty . Great forum you have here Dave.