Normalizing Peak vs RMS

So i was normalizing some stuff in sound studio to bring into a sound effect in logic. It gives you some options. Peak volume (easy), independently for each track or together for all tracks(i just the latter, so the sound stays in proportion), and then another, Peak or RMS (average power level).

When I do peak, the file is normalized to the highest peak as expected, and doesn't play back insanely loud. When i tried it on RMS, the file was clipping (in sound studio no less) left and right, and was super loud.

This isn't a sound studio technical question, obviously i wouldn't be posting that here, but i'm asking the question, what would be the point of that type of normalization?

Yes David it does offer an adjustable ceiling. So if it gets rms normalized to -6, then it isn't really normalized is it? I understand that rms is like a compression but why would it be clipping playing back out of the software? Seems weird.

Not weird, as Erik explained: RMS being an average level of your signal, if you set the average to 0 dB FS then a lot of the signal will end up clipping. Therefore RMS normalizing only makes sense below 0 dB FS.

Compression and normalizing are completely different animals: normalizing (both RMS and peak) changes the gain of your entire audio file equally, changing its level but keeping its dynamic range intact. Compression constantly compares the signal level to its threshold setting, and adjusts the gain accordingly in real time, changing the dynamic range.