fades give ticks

eltho

Hi all,

I have fades that give ticks. The ticks are always at the point where the fade-in is finished, so it reaches normal volume. I already tried deleting all fade files, Created new audio files (because yes, the origin is an Apple loop), bounced without the fade and then created a new fade, moving the fade left and right, restarting Logic, reboot the computer, ... Keep having the same problem.

It's driving me crazy!

Any ideas?

thanks,

eltho

Are there flex edit on the regions that are popping? From Ski and several other forum members, I have been forewarned not to use fades on regions with flex edits. You have to separate the two functions. Do all your flex edits and then bounce in place, then put fades on the new file, or vice versa.

Also, are these clicks audible during playback? Or only after you've bounced.

What I would suggest without more info is to remove any fades you have on all tracks and then reapply them. Then use bounce in place, muting the original, no normalization to make a new audio file that has the fade. Check it for pops and if it's good use the new file for further editing.

Yeah, that really sounds like what happens when you apply fades over flexed files. I've found that I can get away with short fades on flexed files but not long ones, which cause clicks exactly as you've described. And even sometimes the short ones can cause problems. Generally, by "short" I mean 5 or 10 ms.

Thank you for the reactions.

They are audible both during playback as in the mixdown. Sometimes really unpredictable, sometimes the same ones over and over again.

Well, they were Apple loops to start with. So I kind of overlooked that they probably have to be considered as flexed files because they are matched to the tempo when importing to my song/tempo. I worked around it involving an external editor and importing the new file with the fade constructed there back into Logic.

Next time I'll do a bounce-in-place immediately after I've decided which part of the loop I'm going to use. That should do it, right? "Convert to new audio file" is not far enough from the original format?

Also, when I bounce-in-place, I don't seem to have the option to just do it on the same track. Usually I just want to get it over with and won't use the old version any more. The option to do it on the same track is greyed out and it is bounced to a new track, which always makes me go through the hassle of deleting the old version, move the new one to the original track and deleting the newly created track. Is there no easier way? Or in other words, how do I get to make that first option selectable?

Thanks

when I bounce-in-place, I don't seem to have the option to just do it on the same track. Usually I just want to get it over with and won't use the old version any more. The option to do it on the same track is greyed out and it is bounced to a new track, which always makes me go through the hassle of deleting the old version, move the new one to the original track and deleting the newly created track. Is there no easier way? Or in other words, how do I get to make that first option selectable?

There is no option to BIP on the same track when you bounce regions in place, there's new track and selected track. If you have the track containing the region you want to BIP selected, then the option selected track is greyed. If you create a new track before you BIP, and select that, then selected track becomes available.

You cannot BIP to the same track because BIPping is designed to work for both audio and MIDI, and audio on a MIDI track is no good.

And the BIP region dialog clearly has an option to delete the source region, so why you don't use that...?

If you want to BIP an entire track (ctrl-cmd-B) you also get the option to replace the source track.

Bounce region(s) in place:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/Art/S09/S0947_TRA_BounceRegInPlace.png

Bounce Track in place:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/Art/S09/S0948_TRA_BounceTrackInPlace.png

Hi, actually you can BIP on the same track when dealing with audio, not with midi/softsynths.

What you need to do is to select your track, marquee select an area that includes your region and then select bounce in place. Then selected track will not be greyed out. Not in the manual..

Hi, actually you can BIP on the same track when dealing with audio, not with midi/softsynths.

What you need to do is to select your track, marquee select an area that includes your region and then select bounce in place. Then selected track will not be greyed out. Not in the manual..

Wow, that marquee tool seems to have some exclusive functionality. Maybe I should start using it. Great tip! :D

Are you saying that in a Bounce Region In Place situation, you can select the same track that the region is on and "Selected Track" is still an option? Even though I Marquee-selected the region on that track, I didn't have that option. It's only available when I've selected a different track or at least a "New with same channel strip/instrument" track.

Are you saying that in a Bounce Region In Place situation, you can select the same track that the region is on and "Selected Track" is still an option? Even though I Marquee-selected the region on that track, I didn't have that option. It's only available when I've selected a different track or at least a "New with same channel strip/instrument" track.

Yes, that´s it. For some unknown reason you need to make the marquee selection NOT starting at the same place as the region though. If it starts at the same place as region, "selected track" will be greyed out.