Logic Environment Monitor not matching expectations.

jonahhh

Using Latest Logic and Lion.

I'm trying to control Sculpture. I monitored what moving the tension mod slider does in the environment, F 2 62. I setup a fader on channel 2 and set it to 62, I set the input to "control", channel 1, 50, and to filter other, look at a monitor, it's all good.

I make a CC gen in Numerology, attach a LFO, set the CC-gen to send out CC50 on channel 1, send it to MIDI out. Back in Logic, I attach a monitor to Numerology out 1 in the environment, it checks out. I wire the monitor to the fader, then another monitor, still looks good. Then I wire that to "Input Notes" in the environment.

Problem is, it's controlling another part of Sculpture, that supposedly sends out F2 65 (timbre). If I set my fader to send 36 (just went through one by one) it works to control tension mod as expected. I'm not sure if it's a mistake I'm making or a bug.

Thanks in advance.

I make a CC gen in Numerology, attach a LFO, set the CC-gen to send out CC50 on channel 1, send it to MIDI out. Back in Logic, I attach a monitor to Numerology out 1 in the environment, it checks out. I wire the monitor to the fader, then another monitor, still looks good. Then I wire that to "Input Notes" in the environment.

I am not familiar with Numerology, but in any event (no pun intended)...

A screenshot of your Physical input object would help.

Have you tried going directly to a transformer object (instead of a fader object) and making the conversion there? The x-former can then be directly cabled to the Channel strip that Sculpture is on.

The transformer didn't work either.

What I noticed just now, is that if I look at the Sculpture monitor while it's getting F2 62 and moving the Timbre control, it's also putting out F2 62. But again if I move timbre manually it puts out 65.

Also, I should note that I am able to control resolution at f2 35 just fine using either a fader or transformer.

My monitor also says that f2 36 is sent out while switching LFO2's target.

Simply wiring up a fader to sculpture sending f2 63 without using Numerology is changing timbre. Seems like a logic bug? Can anyone confirm?

220786771_ScreenShot2013-01-21at8_48_50PM.png.f83c6c067660216a759165ab1811b9c9.png

Problem is, it's controlling another part of Sculpture, that supposedly sends out F2 65 (timbre). If I set my fader to send 36 (just went through one by one) it works to control tension mod as expected. I'm not sure if it's a mistake I'm making or a bug.

Not sure either - but for what it's worth, I was able to duplicate your findings.

jonahhh,

I see you have an IAC bus already set up. What I shall divulge to you is something that very few Logic users are aware of.

What you are dealing with is a limitation of the environment and you will have to resort to using the IAC bus to control parameters such as the ones you have problems with.

How do you know which ones are real and which ones are fake?

Use Automation in Latch mode to record the events and then view them back on the Automation event list. If they are out of the normal midi value of 0 to 127, then you will have to use the controller assignment via the IAC bus to control them.

In the Environment, use an Instrument Object and set the port to IAC bus 1. Cable a fader/button to this Instrument object and set its output to an unused midi number (do not select 3-solo, 7-volume, 9-mute, 10-pan, etc) and set its input to a value used by your external controller like cc 50.

Now all you have to do is use the Controller assignment LEARN function to link up your external controller to the Environment button/fader so that you can control the 'fake' parameter.

Make sense?

jonahhh,

I see you have an IAC bus already set up. What I shall divulge to you is something that very few Logic users are aware of.

What you are dealing with is a limitation of the environment and you will have to resort to using the IAC bus to control parameters such as the ones you have problems with.

How do you know which ones are real and which ones are fake?

Use Automation in Latch mode to record the events and then view them back on the Automation event list. If they are out of the normal midi value of 0 to 127, then you will have to use the controller assignment via the IAC bus to control them.

In the Environment, use an Instrument Object and set the port to IAC bus 1. Cable a fader/button to this Instrument object and set its output to an unused midi number (do not select 3-solo, 7-volume, 9-mute, 10-pan, etc) and set its input to a value used by your external controller like cc 50.

Now all you have to do is use the Controller assignment LEARN function to link up your external controller to the Environment button/fader so that you can control the 'fake' parameter.

Make sense?

Oh, wow that's crazy. Thanks for this info!

I wonder if there's an easier way to find out what the real parameters are other than automating them? One thing that's frustrating is that if you change the number in the automation event editor you can't get it back above 127.

It's weird, I can use a transform object to add 430 to CC16 and although the monitor "lies" and says 127 I decided to try it and it half works. It moves the control somewhat, but not correctly. Very strange. I don't know why they don't have a special transform command or documentation about this! :)

I'll have to rethink things. What you suggested works and thanks! But I didn't want to use LEARN as there doesn't seem to be any way to disable this in Logic other than by deleting the learn message. I was looking to use the environment so that I could wire different software or controllers up on the fly that are already sending messages without having to switch back and forth so much. With LEARN I have to turn off all other MIDI messages so only the one I want gets picked up.