The Inflictions of Moving Technologies

rone2him

Whether it's fast-moving inovations, or slow-moving developments, we seem to be plagued with the unpleasant ramifications of such advancements in technology. Advancement is particularly exasperating when it comes to the world of consolidating a music recording studio :?

Recently, for me, the long awaited development of some 64bit plugins led me down an infuriating & exasperating trail; seems I needed to update snow leopard (stable) to mountain lion (just read through the multitude of posts on that issue ):roll: just to enable usage of the updated plugins; updating the OS to mountain lion would require a new interface driver (a beta version); those being, just the known gotchas :shock: all, cascading issue, resulting from one inovation taking place.

:mrgreen: I'm not against inovations, but the pace of technology is sometimes dismaying & alarming... a late-night host joked... I'd pay developers $400 every 6 months just NOT to innovate :lol: ...and I have to say, I get his point! It can be exasperatingly maddening. :!:

Just another, go on :twisted: RANT!

I agree that it can be very challenging to go down the upgrade path. And if you don't, you're plagued too! Let me explain.

I am typing this from a system I have which is extremely stable running Logic 9.0.2 on 10.5.8. I've long thought of upgrading it at least to 10.6.8 but it's so stable for what I need it for (Logic and other things) that I'd prefer not to touch that computer at all. Problem is, when I go online, every time it's a page with a video (like a page of this forum with an embedded YouTube video for example, or simply any page of the YouTube website), my browser (any browser I use) tell me that my version of Flash is outdated. I go to try to update Flash, but it tells me that I need a newer version of OS X to update Flash. So unless I upgrade, what was a system that used to work perfectly well now no longer works, at least not to watch videos online, which is pretty limiting.

Sure there's a button at the top right of my screen to "allow the browser to use your outdated version of Flash" - but I have to click it every time I want to access a page that uses Flash! Pretty annoying.

Rant on, Ron, rant on, da doo Ron Ron. :mrgreen:

I agree that it can be very challenging to go down the upgrade path. And if you don't, you're plagued too!

Putting all things in that perspective David, I'm really thankful to have moved through many OS upgrade, and such, in a very serendipitously way in the past, not experiencing the flood of issue many post here. I guess the issue that burns me up :twisted: is spending some big bucks ($1500+) on plugins, assuming they would be updated on an OS that corresponds to the one that was current when I bought them :x Yeah, I know OSX 10.7 was a major upgrade, and therein the crux; given the complexities developer face (but there was no way to know that would be the case)...

the lesson, for me anyway :oops: is never buy anything you won't be totally happy with, "as is", at the time your buying it. Don't make the mistake of trusting marketeers, and promises given, regarding any future developments that you might presently desire... that was my big mistake :!:

I'll make the best of things... thanks for the vehicle to share :mrgreen:

Problem is, when I go online, every time it's a page with a video (like a page of this forum with an embedded YouTube video for example, or simply any page of the YouTube website), my browser (any browser I use) tell me that my version of Flash is outdated. I go to try to update Flash, but it tells me that I need a newer version of OS X to update Flash. So unless I upgrade, what was a system that used to work perfectly well now no longer works, at least not to watch videos online, which is pretty limiting.

Sure there's a button at the top right of my screen to "allow the browser to use your outdated version of Flash" - but I have to click it every time I want to access a page that uses Flash! Pretty annoying.

Yep, that's a problem for people running 10.5.8 and Chrome. The only way around it (if you don't upgrade the OS) is to use another browser.

J.

Ok just yesterday I had to switch that iMac running 10.5.8 for another one also running 10.5.8. Tried to access gmail on it, but gmail doesn't work in Safari in 10.5.8. So I decided to download Google Chrome to install it on the new iMac (I was using it all the time on the old iMac) but now Google only lets me install Chrome if I have 10.6 or later.

So by simply switching an iMac running 10.5.8 with Google Chrome installed with another iMac running 10.5.8 without Google Chrome installed means I can no longer check my gmail accounts. I didn't foresee that issue and the old iMac's hard drive has already been wiped out....

I've always had in the background running "thecomputerthatnevergetsmentioned'causeeverythingisworking" and one computer that I keep on the bleeding edge so that I can assess, anticipate, and hopefully learn responses to potential problems.

And I will say that I have had a good run with my systems.

Most of any problems I have aren't computer related. They stem from marketing decisions.

What makes it difficult for me is Apple's Policy of Silence. Planning has to happen on my end. Period. and yet ...?

I can tell you all about VST3 ... seemingly because those folks aren't afraid of me... and they simply speak to me for what I am. A musician.

I experience it. So I know it can be done....

My friends should be hearing about what's up-coming from Apple from me. Coupled with the enthusiasm I have had for 14yrs. Instead they read about Lawsuits and Rumours.

Perhaps Apple should drink their own sugar water and try something from a previous Ad Campaign.

"Think Different"

There are, at the time of this posting nearly 50,000 registered users on this forum. Say each, spent a minimum of a thousand dollars. (I've spent way more than that). To my eyes that looks like a built-in grass roots, word of mouth, real world, problem solving, community. It self-regulates its trolls and astro-turfers, and ... oh ya ... generates a tidy sum in revenue. Shall we calculate the money Apple didn't have to spend on advertising.

..sigh

Edited by Nublu

I have had a good run with my systems... Most of any problems I have aren't computer related. They stem from marketing decisions...

What makes it difficult for me is Apple's Policy of Silence...

Shall we calculate the money Apple didn't have to spend on advertising.

...sigh

I have always been a Mac guy (first Mac was a Enhanced Fat Mac) and I was continually amazed & dismayed at Apple's lackluster marketing (besides 1984), but it was always a great product (7 system of time), each working flawlessly, serving my every need, no criticism. But lately, Apple's historical "proprietary airs" seem to be taking all prisoner, disadvantageously, and infectiously "missing the mark" on many fronts, in their laptop & desktop products/software (both in-house & 3rd party) worlds :(

Could it be the end of a reign :|

... sigh II

When I look at experiences like inspiration, enthusiasm, fun, passion, ardour, dedication ... what I would call the foundational attributes of street smart, knowledgeable, savvy, engaged folks.... and the way these qualities propagate and thrive ....

The Computer sits s-o-o-o nicely as an amazing tool for this.

To be greeted with a stonewall silence (in my opinion) produces a resounding dull thud.

I truly hope I am wrong.

This "Fortress of Solitude" .. :) .. thing they've got going on has never worked for me.

Even though I have enjoyed the pleasant surprises along the way, I would trade them for the opportunity to create look-aheads, and plan.

The guitar I played today has been around in various iterations for thousands of years. Musicians are a long term customer base.

Its all in the song never in a couple 'plug-ins'. Oh geez this song would sound better with those new plug-ins better reinstall my system software. Sound like a tech affliction of sorts. I hate computers, no i love them, no hate them....whatever.

Sincerely Tshh. :|

A vicious circle that will never end. Nature of the beast of course. Both sides ( hardware and software manufacturers and developers) know exactly how the game works so we all keep spending our hard earned cash to stay afloat in the age of endless upgrades.

( not complaining here lol) just on my business comp I'm hanging on to XP for as long as I can....starting to get a little crusty around the edges though lol :))