What audio interface do I need?

Hey,

So I've basically been stuck on this for a while,

I have a MBP, running Logic Pro 9 (&8), KRK RP8s, USB MIC ( can't remember the name)

And a behringer midi keyboard.

I have previously be connecting my monitors via 1 RCA cable split to both monitors and then into a minijack adapter going into the headphone input of my mac (not good), time to get an audio interface..

Now I have a Traktor Audio 10 sound card, but obviously that's used for home and out live DJing, so I wouldn't want to keep swapping it over with logic and then Traktor etc.

What audio interface do I need to just connect my monitors and my mic too, and how/what cables should I use to connect my monitors to an audio interface, just for use with logic.. Xlr monitors TO 1/4 in the interface? Xlr to xlr etc?

Someone recommended the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2/4, but it doesn't have a USB input for my mic, do I need to plug my mic through an interface to use in logic?

Thanks a lot

Someone recommended the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2/4, but it doesn't have a USB input for my mic, do I need to plug my mic through an interface to use in logic?

I can answer this, somewhat- if it's a USB mic it'll have it's own independent drivers and won't need to be run through a sound interface. That being said, running both inputs from your interface and the USB mic simultaneously might require some tricky routing.

What audio interface do I need to just connect my monitors and my mic too, and how/what cables should I use to connect my monitors to an audio interface, just for use with logic.. Xlr monitors TO 1/4 in the interface? Xlr to xlr etc?

You can not connect your USB mic to any Audio Interface, you'll just have to plug it in the Mac as you always did; the mic is an audio interface (with just one input - although some have outputs too). To use it together with other audio interfaces you'll have to create a an aggregate device (basically "tricking" the Mac into "believing" that interface+mic is one device) in the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3956

Note that not all interfaces "like" being aggregated; the Apogee Duet for instance does not support it. So you may need to ask a separate question about the aggregateability of your USB mic and the Scarlet. But for that you'd need to find out the exact make and model of your mic.

Oh, and please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

Thanks for replying guys.

Ah okay, right thats okay then I can just plug my mic into my mac, thats not a problem. i'll only be using it every now and again if i want to record some vocals over a track, its NOT an important part of my studio. I can just plug it into my mac via USB.

My mic is a 'Samson G-Track'.

I think I do only need another interface literally just for my KRK RP8 monitors (ATM) tbh.. So I can use them with Logic.

So maybe I don't need to get a too pricey one just yet, budget is tight at the moment, so less then £100 tbh. In the future Ill be able to fork for a more expensive quality interface.

I came across this one on Amazon, 'Lexicon Alpha Studio USB Interface' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexicon-Alpha-Studio-Audio-Interface/dp/B000HVXMNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359819288&sr=8-1

It's £49.99 so I can afford that today. It's not ideally the one i want, looks wise. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2/4 is the colour matching my studio, and seems better.. but beggers can't be choosers, so for now it'll do.

I've currently got XLR male to XLR female for connect my monitors to my Pioneer DJM500 DJ mixer, for when I'm DJing. So to connect to this and ALL audio interfaces, will i need to run xlr TO 1/4 /TRS cables? Cos I don't see many soundcards with XLR outs for monitors. I'll connect my KRKs into the left and right LINE inputs of the Lexicon soundcard i just posted.

Ah okay ill add my Logic specs to sig now.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, that's what in going to do, stick with this cable for now until I can afford an interface, I'd prefer to have one, it'd feel better and would like to have a volume control knob instead of just the MacBook volume buttons.

The RCA input of my KRKs are un-balanced (I really don't understand all the balanced and unbalanced business) but is that okay still to connect to my MBP for Logic yes? Thanks

The RCA input of my KRKs are un-balanced (I really don't understand all the balanced and unbalanced business) but is that okay still to connect to my MBP for Logic yes? Thanks

Yes, it's ok.

Balanced connections are basically a trick using a cable with 3 conductors (vs 2 for unbalanced) that allows to greatly reduce interferences. As triplets said this is really helpful in large studios or on stage where longer cables are used and many various types of equipment generate all sorts of interferences. For shorter cables in a smaller studio this shouldn't be an issue.

Okay great, ill only be using the cable for a while u till I can afford an interface, so sure it'll be fine u til then.

While we're here, can you recommend an interface that I actually need?

I have MacBook Pro 10.6.8

Krk Rokit 8s

Behringer UMX250 MIDI keyboard (USB)

Maschine,

A CODEC USB MIC

Logic Pro 9 (latest version)

Ableton Live 8 (latest version)

And that's all ill be using for the mean while, I'm not interested in recording instruments ie drums, guitar etc ATM!

Just using my midi keyboard and stuff, I do want to record vocals at some point, my mic connects via USB.

Is there just a basic interface that has the TRS or XLR connections for my monitors and a USB for MIC and keyboard...

What actually is the best/usual way to connect studio monitors to an interface? Xlr from monitor to TRS interface?

Thanks.

I would just prefer to have a separate Soundcard so I'm plugging less into my mac tbh, would like a dedicated monitor volume knob and not keep using the MacBook volume buttons! Around £100 ($150) is my budget, been recommended the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, gonna check that Presonis Audiobox you recommend Dave.

Just a quick one, I have a Behringer U-Contol UCA222 that came with my UMX250 midi keyboard, it has L R input and L R output, it's USB powered, but did come with a power lead, that I lost a while ago, I've set that as my default audio device in my MacBook, and used RCA cables (it only has RCA I/O's) and I had sound, but there was a high freq noise all the time it was connected and got some narsty sounds coming everytime I touched the cables.

Could I actually use this as an interface for MBP/Logic? For the mean while...

Like, ill just get that stereo 1/8 to dual RCA cable and try it with that to see if the sound is better?

Ta