Logic Pro & Ableton combination for live performance?

yiannisel

Hey guys,

I'd like some advice on this. I've been working on Logic for recording and producing (electronic genre).

Although I find mapping Logics synths etc on a controller surface handy, I find Logic's ability in looping on the spot/sequencing/playing synths/ tweaking FXs at the same time a bit restricted in the sense that there's limited continuity and i can imagine this being really difficult to manage

in a live situation.

Ultimately I would like to trigger loops (using MPD32), sequence them and add effects and generally mess with my projects live.

Would learning a new DAW like Ableton and rewiring Login into Ableton solve this in any way?

For example is it possible to create everything in Logic, then send the sound of each track in Ableton and playing with the effects and sequence of loops in Ableton whilst at the same time playing Logic's synths?

I'm not sure I want to switch to Ableton all together as I find Logic really powerful and anyways all my projects have been made there.

Is anyone using a combination of the two for a live perfomance?

Any suggestions?

I route Ableton channels directly to Mainstage channels via Soundflower from Cycling 74.

That way you can bring a Logic project's channel strips up in Mainstage.

I've never found Rewire great between Ableton and Logic as Logic insists on being the master, which if I'm correct means that you can't control Logic's transport with ableton.

Hope this helps.

Thanks theambertheatre, ill try mainstage and logic combination then.

Has anyone used Mainstage for this kind of stuff?

I mean routing Logic into Mainstage and then engage in live looping, creating/changing sequences, effect tweaking.

What are its capabilities? Haven't used it yet.

I'm not actually using Logic with Mainstage at the same time.

I'm triggering loops in Ableton which are then sent to audio channels in Mainstage. [via soundflower]

I copy the channel strip settings from the Logic project to Mainstage eg. fx, reverbs, sends etc.

this allows me to use Logic's built in effects in realtime, instead of having to recreate all the effects and routings again in Ableton.