Volume help - Logic Pro 9

mixmanjohn

Hi ... newbie here ... I'm working with Logic pro 9 ... MacBook Pro (late 2011) KRK ROKIT 5's .. and my interface is a TASCAM US-144: http://tascam.com/product/us-144/

I have no problem at all with GarageBand .. but since switching to Logic .. things are "buggy"

I've imported some GarageBand songs into Logic ... they sound great ... but when I lay new tracks (real audio - Vocals - Keys - Guitar )

the new tracks play back super low (volume) I can hear them while I'm recording .. and they move the needle just fine during the recording process (meaning the meter lights are registering pretty high - almost into the red if I push ) ... but when I play back .. the newly recorded tracks are not very audible .. how do I fix this? I created a new project called "line check" I recorded drums and vocals ... they seemed OK ... but in comparison to previously recorded sound from GarageBand .. not nearly as loud

John

PS ... I realize how ridiculous the username "mix man" is .. it's the name of my cover band (The Mix) ... not to suggest that I'm a mixing engineer ..

Hi David ... yes .. I tried both ways ... recording with no plugins .. and recording with plugins .. basically monitoring a track (vocal) with the effect(s) already engaged ... the faders are up ... the signal lights are bouncing high .. but after the recording .. the playback of that track is really really quite ... and even if I pin the fader ... its not that loud ... just gets distorted and over modulated ..

Try again in a new project with zero plug-ins, all parameters zeroed in: what you get when recording should be what you get when you playback.

Keep in mind: whether you use Logic, GarageBand or any other software to record audio, the audio will be exactly the same: it's just whatever stream of zeroes and ones comes out of your converter. Those apps don't have any effect AT ALL on the audio being recorded, so the only way they can change the audio is in the way you monitor or playback the audio.

OX 10.7.5 Logic Pro 9.1.7 .. not sure if 64 or 32bit (what is recommended?) also notice some slight delay in playback (of new tracks that are really quite - tracks in question) ... clearly something or some setting is not right ... would like to get to the bottom of it though .. Garageband has been really easy and has giving me some great recordings ... I really want to get the hang of Logic so I can take the next step "up " ... I'll try to get the screen shot (silly, but how to I post that screen shoot ) ?

OX 10.7.5 Logic Pro 9.1.7 .. not sure if 64 or 32bit (what is recommended?) also notice some slight delay in playback (of new tracks that are really quite - tracks in question) ... clearly something or some setting is not right ... would like to get to the bottom of it though .. Garageband has been really easy and has giving me some great recordings ... I really want to get the hang of Logic so I can take the next step "up " ... I'll try to get the screen shot (silly, but how to I post that screen shoot ) ?

Have you considered updating Logic to 9.1.8?

it's possible .. but even when I tried adding a piano track (electric keys of course) I recorded them ... heard them fine while recording them along with the other recorded tracks (obviously I played along with them) ... went to playback ... it was like they were hardly there ... can't figure this out

yes I did that too .. I read that in another post .. really weird. I would have said that the interface is not that great .. $140 TASCAM .. but it works great with GarageBand .. Phones level is low .. but otherwise, recording levels in Garageband are great .. clean too

PS ... I upgraded as per ATLAS's last post .. don't know if it helped yet .. somehow doubt it