Ultrabeat sequencer not looping during playback [SOLVED]

djp_pgh

I've got a couple of sequences in Ultrabeat set up for C-1 and C#-1, which I'd like to change between during playback with all instrument strips. Pressing C-1 and C#-1 switches between these sequences, but Ultrabeat fails to play more than one cycle. A couple of other odd behaviors:

With Logic playback stopped, I turn "pattern mode" on. But when I click the blue play button in Ultrabeat, "pattern mode" switches off. Ultrabeat playback will continue to loop until I click pattern mode back on. Ultrabeat then stops at the end of a cycle. This is in toggle mode.

"Sequence" and "one shot trigger" pattern modes works fine, and "Sequence" mode loops continuously while keys C-1 and C#-1 are pressed.

If I press C-1 with "Toggle on step 1" pattern mode set, pattern plays one cycle. If I press C#-1 during this playback, C-1 cycle stops, then C#-1 begins on next cycle - big interruption.

Shouldn't I be able to have the sequence loop continuously during with "toggle" pattern mode set?

Thanks.

Apologies:

LogicPro 9.1.8

OS 10.8.2

Thanks for your quick replies.

@David I did mean "Sustain"

I just tried using the keys as Eric suggested, instead of the blue play button, and it worked fine. But I remember doing the same thing at home with the midi keyboard when I had this problem.

I'll try again with the midi keyboard to see if that's where the problem is occurring, or if it's fixed.

david

My problem appears to stem from using the MIDI keyboard:

Using Logic's caps lock keyboard, Ultrabeat sequencer works as expected.

Using my MIDI keyboard is when Ultrabeat doesn't continue to play.

The difference I notice in the MIDI In/Out section of the transport bar between the two input methods is that with the MIDI keyboard, I see a musical note symbol on the left with a velocity value on the right when I press C-1 etc., and an OFF velocity value when I release the C-1. The musical note symbol remains on screen until the display resets (after about 1 sec). When I use the caps lock keyboard, the transport bar appearance is the same while C-1 is pressed, but upon release, the musical note has a slash through it, and the velocity value is 0 rather than OFF.

I'm not sure how to change the functioning of the MIDI keyboard yet to verify this is the problem, but I wanted to keep this thread updated.

The difference I notice in the MIDI In/Out section of the transport bar between the two input methods is that with the MIDI keyboard, I see a musical note symbol on the left with a velocity value on the right when I press C-1 etc., and an OFF velocity value when I release the C-1. The musical note symbol remains on screen until the display resets (after about 1 sec). When I use the caps lock keyboard, the transport bar appearance is the same while C-1 is pressed, but upon release, the musical note has a slash through it, and the velocity value is 0 rather than OFF.

That doesn't matter: some MIDI devices send "Note OFF" events while others send "Note ON, velocity = 0", but Ultrabeat should interpret both in the same way.

So which is the mode that doesn't behave with the MIDI keyboard, with what pattern mode, and what is the exact behavior: when pressing a key, when releasing it and when pressing another, and what's the difference with using the caps lock keyboard?

It seems to only be Toggle mode. In "full view", without Ultrabeat playing, I can see that pressing C-1 or C#-1 does in fact change the pattern to be played, but the playback is not initiated.

If I begin playback with the pattern associated with C-1, and press C-1 with my MIDI keyboard (Axiom 49), the pattern restarts from the beginning. But if I change to say pattern C#-1, playback stops.

My suspicion now is that two midi events are being sent by the Axiom. That would explain why playback begins over from the beginning when the key associated with that pattern is pressed (stop-start), why playback is not initiated (start-stop), and why playback does not continue when a new pattern is selected (start new pattern - stop new pattern). It might also explain why behavior for other modes are not affected.

hmm...

My suspicion now is that two midi events are being sent by the Axiom.

Choose Window > Environment. At the top left, click the button to the right of the layer menu and choose the "Click and Ports" layer. Press a key and see what events show up in the monitor. Release the key and see what events show up. Take a screenshot and post it here.

Problem Solved. Thanks for the diagnostic suggestion.

I had four zones selected on the Axiom 49 and didn't realize that would cause such an issue. I changed the zone setting to include only one zone and things are working as expected.

Thanks again David.

dp