Split one MIDI note into subdivisions

Sy_Mercade

Hi, I was wondering, is there any feature in Logic that will allow me to split one midi note into even subdivisions, so I don't have to draw them out and remember where the 1 long midi note started and everything? I haven't even gotten started on the topic of MIDI filter/automations/events, it looks really confusing, so I just wanted to know if anyone already knew how to do this. I find I could make a lot of use of this tool. I was disappointed when the scissors tool didn't work to split a MIDI note, so I'd like to know if there is one. Thanks!

EDIT: I just found out the scissor does work on the midi notes....sometimes...might have something to do with my trackpad. Sometimes it divides it, and sometimes it just deselects it. So now the goal is to find something along the lines of an automation that splits the note among the grid. Then you can simply glue back together the pieces you didn't want divided. That seems faster then manually splitting a really long note.

The only workaround I know for a "divide multiple" of a MIDI note is to use Option-scissors on the region in the Arrange area. Option-scissors creates multiple cuts, and cutting the region cuts the notes that are inside. You can then merge the regions (Region > Merge > Regions), leaving you with your original region and multiple MIDI notes inside.

Hey David I'll give that a try. Also the scissors thing is getting really annoying. I'm definitely clicking the note the right way, but it always gives me a 50/50 chance of cutting or de/selecting the note. Am I doing it wrong?

EDIT: Disregard that, I realized you have to click with the top of the cursor

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...