MIDI Piano Roll Copying Note to Different Region

Sy_Mercade

So, I was wondering if I'm missing a certain way to do this....but for example I have a drum track of just 4 regions, on cycle. They are all selected and the piano roll is open, I can see every note from all the regions in there. But when I try to Opt Drag a note from the part of the piano roll that has region 1 to the part of the piano roll that has region 2,3,4, the note gets copied, but it turns gray and won't play.

However, if I use the pencil to put down a midi note anywhere on the roll, it will work.

But most of the time I just want to copy a note or chord that's already being used.

Is there any way to do this without merging the regions? I might want to copy certain regions at a point.

when I try to Opt Drag a note from the part of the piano roll that has region 1 to the part of the piano roll that has region 2,3,4, the note gets copied, but it turns gray and won't play.

That's because you're copying a note from region 1 into region 1 (Option-dragging makes a copy that stays in the same region), but you're copying the note after the region end - so the note does not play.

You could lengthen the region to make the note play, but then you'd most likely have overlapped regions (depending on how your regions are arranged).

A better solution is to either use the pencil tool to select the note you wanted to copy, then to click where you want to paste it. That will paste the note in the region that is located where you paste - so the note will play.

Another solution which might work better for complex chords where you don't want to pencil new notes one at a time:

1) In the Piano Roll with the Pointer tool, double-click one note from the chord you want to copy/paste. You are now only seeing the contents of the source region. Select the notes or the chord.

2) Press Command-C (Copy).

3) Double-click the background of the Piano Roll. You are back to seeing the contents of all 4 selected regions.

4) Double-click a note from the destination region. You are now only seeing the contents of the destination region.

5) Place the playhead where you want to paste and press Command-V (Paste). You've pasted the notes or chord.

Let me know how those work for you?

Wow dude you're awesome I never knew any of that (including that the pencil copying works like that)

I kept activating the "See different region" thing by accident before. The piano roll would go blank and I'd hit undo and it would just undo something else. Now I get it!

While we're on the topic of the pencil though, I notice that when I drag with the pencil it just creates one long note. Is there a way to drag the pencil that it creates many little notes by the subdivision grid?